Human trafficking cases decrease in the UAE

Updated 16 April 2014

Human trafficking cases decrease in the UAE

The number of human trafficking cases in the UAE has come down significantly over the years, according Dr. Anwar Mohammed Gargash, minister of State for Foreign Affairs, minister of State for FNC Affairs and chairman of the National Committee to Combat Human Trafficking.
The UAE has achieved progress in the fight against human trafficking and will remain proactively engaged in the global campaign against the challenges of such constantly evolving crimes, Dr. Anwar Mohammed Gargash added in a speech at the launch of the Committee's Annual Report 2013-2014.
"We are happy to release the seventh annual report of this key government initiative against human trafficking as part of the Committee's efforts to share information on this critical issue with the general public and the international community," Gargash added.
According to the National Committee to Combat Human Trafficking, 27 human trafficking-related cases were registered last year, out of which the Public Prosecution treated 19 as human trafficking cases. These cases involved 24 victims and led to the arrest of 50 traffickers. Compared to these 19 cases in 2013, there were 58 cases in 2010 and 47 in 2012.
Notably, the U.A.E. has also recorded a high conviction rate with 12 cases convicted in 2013, involving stiff penalties ranging from one year in jail to life imprisonment and fines, reflecting the robustness of the judicial system in the U.A.E.
The UAE took several significant steps during the last year, which included amending Federal Law No. 51 to ensure better protection for victims, establishing a fund to support victims of human trafficking, proactively opening a new shelter in Abu Dhabi to deal with male victims of human trafficking, conducting a public awareness campaign at various terminals of the Dubai International Airport, and forging international partnerships and enhancing cooperation with the countries of origin to tackle the crime at source.


UK govt: British women strip-searched in Qatar

Updated 4 min 44 sec ago

UK govt: British women strip-searched in Qatar

  • London describes incident as ‘unacceptable’
  • Strip-search took place in Doha airport

LONDON: British authorities have formally registered concerns with Qatar following reports that two women who are UK nationals were strip-searched in Doha.

The forced medical examinations were carried out in Doha airport after authorities discovered a newborn baby in a bin.

This, it is claimed, prompted them to conduct “urgently decided” intrusive examinations, described as “absolutely terrifying” by one of 13 Australian women on a flight to Sydney who were subjected to them.

The British women were part of a group that was forced to disembark flights before having their underwear removed for a female medical professional to carry out an examination assessing if they had recently given birth.

The complaint was registered by the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office, which said in a statement: “We are providing ongoing support to two British women following an incident in Doha. We have formally expressed our concern with the Qatari authorities and Qatar Airways and are seeking assurances an unacceptable incident like this cannot happen again.”

Australian officials said passengers from 10 flights leaving Doha on Oct. 2 were subjected to the ordeal.

“The advice that has been provided indicates that the treatment of the women concerned was offensive, grossly inappropriate, and beyond circumstances in which the women could give free and informed consent,” said a spokeswoman for the office of Australia’s foreign minister.

Sources familiar with the incident have said the newborn is alive and in care, and the mother has not been identified.