Ministry cracks down on online arms dealers

Updated 18 June 2014

Ministry cracks down on online arms dealers

The Interior Ministry is closely monitoring and tracking down arms trafficking through the Internet and social networking sites.
Mansour Al-Turki, the ministry’s spokesman, said violators — either individuals or website operators — will be treated as criminals.
He pointed out that trade in weapons and its accessories are prohibited in the Kingdom.
Al-Turki said competent security agencies regularly follow up and track the information and data available on trade in weapons on the Internet and social networking sites.
According to local media reports, the ministry discovered 31 accounts on Instagram that posed social and security risk “because some of the users were openly using the sites to trade in weapons.”
The sites have followers, and contain photos of the different kinds of arms and ammunitions such as Kalashnikov rifles and guns of all sizes ready for sale.
The prices of the arms displayed on the sites range between SR1,700 and SR25, 000 depending on the type of weapon.
“Such accounts are a threat to the internal security and society in general because criminals and teenagers can obtain them easily despite the strict control and monitoring of the Ministry of Interior on the borders to prevent arms smuggling into the Kingdom,” he said.
As per the law, any person who is found guilty of manufacturing, assembling, selling or purchasing such weapons and ammunition, and who has in his possession such arms with the intent to disturb internal security, will be jailed for up to 30 years and will be fined up to SR300 000.
In case the individual is found in possession of weapons of war or ammunition, he is liable to either imprisonment of 25 years or a fine of SR150,000 or both.
A person guilty of possessing an individual weapon or ammunition without a license can face a jail term of up to two years or a fine of SR7,000 or both.
The Interior Ministry represented by the General Directorate for the Border Guards is making extensive efforts to combat arms smuggling. During the past six months, the directorate has succeeded in seizing 2,089 pieces of weapons.


Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. (SPA)
Updated 04 August 2020

Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

  • COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia continue to fall, officials say

JEDDAH: Pilgrims who took part in this year’s Hajj must continue wearing electronic tags so authorities can track their 14-day quarantine once they return home.

The bracelet is designed to monitor pilgrims’ adherence to quarantine, as well as monitoring and recording their health status through the “Tatamman” app.
Pilgrims were required to quarantine before embarking on the Hajj and wore the bracelets to ensure they were obeying the self-isolation rules as part of strict measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
The country continues to experience a decline in COVID-19 cases. Recorded infections remain below the 2,000 mark for the 10th day in a row. The Kingdom reported 1,258 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, raising the number of those infected to 280,093 so far.
There are currently 35,091 active cases and six patients were admitted to critical care units, raising the number to 2,017. There were 32 new fatalities, raising the death toll to 2,949.
There were 1,972 new recoveries recorded, raising the total number of recoveries to 242,053.
More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. The total number of PCR tests conducted to date exceeds 3.47 million.

INNUMBERS

280,093 COVID-19 cases

242,053 Recoveries

35,091 Active cases

2,949 Total deaths

3.47m PCR tests

The Ministry of Health has been carrying out daily visits to health institutions in order to assess their level of commitment to anti-coronavirus measures, such as ensuring that staff adhere to social distancing, wear masks, and adopt the health practices and crisis management mechanisms recommended by authorities to protect patients and staff.
Teams have been dispatched to supervise the compliance of health facilities’ quarantine centers across Saudi Arabia and stepped up their visits to government and private hospitals to ensure their compliance with health protocols, sample transfers and staff testing as well as ensuring that all routine surgeries are stopped.
More than 5,000 violations have been recorded and violators were referred to committees. More than 150 facilities were temporarily shut down by the ministry until the proper protocols were implemented and the violations were fixed. A number of institutions were able to resume operations after settling fines.