Suicide bomber strikes Yemen military convoy, kills 8

In this May 1, 2016, file photo, soldiers extinguish a fire on a pick-up truck at the site of a car bomb attack that targeted Aden's security chief for the second time in a week in the port city. On Wednesday, a suicide bomber killed at least eight people and wounded 17 by ramming a car laden with explosives into a government military convoy traveling in eastern Yemen. (Reuters/Fawaz Salman)
Updated 11 May 2016

Suicide bomber strikes Yemen military convoy, kills 8

ADEN, Yemen: A suicide bomber rammed a car laden with explosives into a government military convoy traveling in eastern Yemen on Wednesday, killing at least eight people and wounding 17, a security official said.
The official said that six soldiers and two civilians died in the attack near the city of Al-Qatan on the convoy of General Abdul-Rahman Al-Halili, head of Yemen’s First Military Region which is loyal to President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
Halili, who was on his way to inspect Yemeni government forces when the attack took place, suffered medium injuries in the attack, the official added.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack, but Islamist militants from Al-Qaeda and the Daesh have repeatedly carried out attacks against Yemeni military and security forces in southern and eastern Yemen in recent months.
Hadi supporters, backed mainly by United Arab Emirates (UAE) forces in the Saudi-led coalition, drove Al-Qaeda militants from the Hadramout provincial capital in a military offensive last month.
Islamist militants have exploited a civil war pitting supporters of Hadi and the Iran-allied Houthis to extend their control over areas in southern and eastern Yemen and recruit followers.
The growing militant threat has spurred UN-sponsored peace talks between Hadi’s government and the Houthis now underway in Kuwait.

(Reporting by Mohammed Mukhashaf)


Egyptian doctors call for more facilities to handle pandemic

Updated 3 min 30 sec ago

Egyptian doctors call for more facilities to handle pandemic

  • The virus has infected more than 350 members of Egypt’s medical staff. The number of doctors who have lost their lives to the virus has risen to 19

CAIRO: The Egyptian Doctors Syndicate said the Health Ministry failed to provide its members with the proper protection to ensure their safety while caring for patients with COVID-19.

Doctors in Egypt have expressed anger over the lack of medical supplies and tests for the virus.

The country mourned the passing away of four doctors on Sunday, which coincided with the first day of Eid Al-Fitr.

Their deaths were met with the resignation of several doctors, one of whom blamed “wilful negligence.”

As of Sunday, the ministry reported a total of 17,265 cases of coronavirus in Egypt and 764 deaths.

The virus has infected more than 350 members of Egypt’s medical staff. The number of doctors who have lost their lives to the virus has risen to 19. 

Doctors and nurses are not the only ones complaining about how health officials are handling the pandemic and the rising numbers of infections and deaths. 

“Back in March, the hotline was very responsive and it was very easy for me to be connected to a medical professional,” said a 32-year-old mother of three. 

“Now the hotline is dead. I called several times in May but I never got an answer. I believe the ministry is overwhelmed and can no longer handle the increasing numbers of cases.”

The ministry launched the hotline to help people who believed they might have contracted the virus. 

It says isolation hospitals are full and can no longer take in patients, yet it provided Egyptian actress Ragaa El-Geddawy with two rooms in one such hospital that was reportedly operating at full capacity. 

A colleague of Walid Yehya, a doctor who died from the virus, criticized the ministry for prioritizing those with money and fame over its own medical staff. 

Meanwhile, Egyptian Health Minister Hala Zayed directed officials to provide the best possible care to medical personnel.

“There is a complete floor in each isolation hospital with a capacity of 20 beds allocated for the affected medical staff,” she added.

The minister also stressed on providing psychological support to sick medical staff in isolation hospitals.