Yemen anti-terror operation ‘very successful’

Yemeni security forces stand guard at the site where a suicide car bomb exploded next to the central bank in Yemen's second city Aden in this October 29, 2016 photo. (AFP)
Updated 09 November 2016

Yemen anti-terror operation ‘very successful’

ADEN: An elite Yemeni force killed 30 suspected Al-Qaeda fighters in the southeast of the country in a 24-hour operation that ended Wednesday, the army said.
The force raided an Al-Qaeda hideout west of the port city of Mukalla in a “very successful” operation that lasted 24 hours, it said in a statement.
It said that 30 suspected militants were killed and several others were captured, increasing a Tuesday death toll of six alleged militants.
Four Yemeni troops were also killed and 12 were wounded in the fighting, it added.
The militants were “planning to carry out terrorist attacks” in the country, already torn apart by a 19-month-long conflict between Iran-backed rebels and loyalist forces supported by the coalition, the army said.
Mukalla was the most populous Yemeni city under Al-Qaeda control until government troops and coalition special forces recaptured it in April, ending a year of militant rule.
But the rebels regrouped in the surrounding mountains from where they have carried out a series of deadly attacks.
A security official told AFP on Tuesday that troops launched a “preemptive operation” against the extremists, who continued to pose a threat to Mukalla.
In July, suicide bombings claimed by Al-Qaeda killed 11 people at two army checkpoints in the city. The previous month, Al-Qaeda’s rival, Daesh, claimed a wave of suicide bombings that killed at least 42 people in Mukalla.
The militants have exploited the conflict to consolidate their grip on parts of the south.
Washington regards Al-Qaeda’s Yemen-based branch as its most dangerous and has kept up a long-running drone war against its commanders.


Dozens of Iraqi protestors wounded as anti-government unrest resumes

Updated 15 min 42 sec ago

Dozens of Iraqi protestors wounded as anti-government unrest resumes

  • In Baghdad’s Tayaran Square overnight, protesters threw petrol bombs and stones at police
  • Baghdad police said its forces had successfully reopened all the roads that were closed by “violent gatherings.”

BAGHDAD: Dozens of Iraqi protestors were wounded in Baghdad and other cities on Monday in clashes with security forces who were trying to clear blocked roads, security and medical sources said, as anti-government unrest resumed after a lull of several weeks.

In Baghdad’s Tayaran Square overnight, protestors threw petrol bombs and stones at police who responded with tear gas and stun grenades, Reuters witnesses said.

Elsewhere in southern Iraq, hundreds of protestors burned tires and blocked main roads in several cities, including Nassiriya, Kerbala and Amara. They say Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi has not fulfilled promises including naming a new government acceptable to Iraqis.

“They (security forces) should stop shooting and aiming, who are they and who we are? Both sides are Iraqis. So why are you killing your brothers?” said one woman protestor in Baghdad who declined to give her name.

Baghdad police said its forces had successfully reopened all the roads that were closed by “violent gatherings.”

Mass protests have gripped Iraq since Oct. 1, with mostly young protesters demanding an overhaul of a political system they see as profoundly corrupt and as keeping most Iraqis in poverty. More than 450 people have been killed.

Numbers had dwindled but protests resumed last week as demonstrators sought to keep up momentum after attention turned to the threat of a US-Iran conflict following Washington’s killing of Tehran’s top general in an air strike inside Iraq.

The killing of Qassem Soleimani, to which Tehran responded with a ballistic missile attack on two Iraqi military bases, has highlighted the influence of some foreign powers in Iraq, especially Iran and the United States.