Saudi FM: We will consider Qatar’s response carefully before taking stances

German foreign minister Sigmar Gabriel, L, with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir. (Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Updated 04 July 2017

Saudi FM: We will consider Qatar’s response carefully before taking stances

JEDDAH: The standoff between Qatar and its Arab neighbors would best be solved by an agreement across the region to prevent the financing of “terrorism,” German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said Monday.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said he told Gabriel that the measures taken by the four countries were aimed at pressuring Qatar to change policies that have harmed its neighbors and the world.
“We look forward to receiving Qatar’s response to the demands in order to study it thoroughly before taking stances,” Al-Jubeir said.
“The aim of the measures taken against Qatar is to change its policies that harm it, the countries of the region and other nations of the world,” Al-Jubeir told a press conference alongside Gabriel in Jeddah.
Gabriel said he did not have the impression the four countries were questioning Qatar’s sovereignty.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain have agreed to grant Qatar an additional 48 hours to comply with a list of demands they submitted last month.
The extension by the four countries, which have severed diplomatic relations with Qatar and imposed economic sanctions over its regional policies, came at the request of Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.
As the original deadline of July 3 loomed, Kuwait, the US and Russia appeared to intensify efforts to resolve the crisis.
The Saudi, Emirati, Egyptian and Bahraini foreign ministers have agreed to meet in Cairo on Wednesday to discuss the crisis.
Meanwhile, Qatar’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani has reportedly delivered his country’s official response to Sheikh Sabah during a short visit to Kuwait.
The White House on Sunday said US President Donald Trump spoke with Saudi King Salman, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan and Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani.
Trump “reiterated the importance of stopping terrorist financing and discrediting extremist ideology,” the White House said in a statement.
He “also underscored that unity in the region is critical to accomplishing the Riyadh Summit’s goals of defeating terrorism and promoting regional stability.”
Trump and King Salman exchanged views on US-Saudi efforts against terrorism, its sources of financing and countries that support terrorist groups, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported on Monday.
Trump later tweeted: “Spoke yesterday with the King of Saudi Arabia about peace in the Middle-East. Interesting things are happening!”


Riyadh Season Boulevard zone opens with spectacular parade

Updated 18 October 2019

Riyadh Season Boulevard zone opens with spectacular parade

  • The Riyadh parade is thought to be the biggest parade in Kingdom to date

RIYADH: More than 1,500 performers and 25 floats took part in a parade and carnival on Thursday night that officially launched Riyadh Season’s Boulevard zone. The crowds that gathered for the fun-packed event were also treated to motorcycle displays, fireworks and other surprises.

The Boulevard lit up at 9 p.m. for the start of the 90-minute event, which featured some of the international artists who will perform as part of Riyadh Season. Afterwards, the zone’s food and drink outlets, outdoor cinema and fountain shows officially opened.

The audience watched the parade, performances and displays from specially constructed stands. Food trucks offered a selection of tasty snacks, and organizers also provided prayer rooms, toilets, first-aid stations and other facilities.



In addition to the opening-night festivities, the Boulevard zone, which covers 400,000 square meters, will host a wide range of entertainment options and activities for all ages, including the outdoor cinema, restaurants, and sports, music and theatrical events. It has three main venues: The 22,000-seat Mohammed Abdu Theater, the 6,000-seat Abu Bakr Salem Theater, and the 2,000-seat Baker Al-Sheddi Theater.

The parade is just one of more than 100 events featuring local, regional and international performers taking place during the Riyadh Season festival, which continues until mid-December at 12 zones across the city: the Boulevard; the Front; Riyadh Car Show; Winter Wonderland; Riyadh Stadiums; the Diplomatic Quarter; Al-Muraba’a; Al-Malaz; Wadi Namar; Nabd Al-Riyadh; Riyadh Safari; and Riyadh Sahara. It has been organized with the support of Turki Al-Sheikh, chairman of the General Entertainment Authority and president of Riyadh Season.

The audience watched the parade from specially built stands. (Supplied)

 

The ambitious 2019 Saudi Seasons initiative, the first of its kind in the region, was launched in February and includes 11 local seasons covering most parts of the Kingdom. Designed to promote the fledgling Saudi entertainment sector and boost tourism, it is attracting some of the biggest names in world entertainment.

The Riyadh parade is thought to be the biggest parade in Kingdom to date. It follows a folklore parade at the Mawtni (My Nation) cultural event in Yanbu to mark Saudi National Day this year, and a parade during the Jeddah Season festivities in the city’s Obhur district.