Police arrest 17 in Dubai, Netherlands, Australia drug raids

Updated 09 August 2017

Police arrest 17 in Dubai, Netherlands, Australia drug raids

SYDNEY: Police in Australia, Dubai and the Netherlands have arrested 17 people and seized nearly two tons of narcotics in raids the Australian Federal Police (AFP) said on Tuesday had broken up two interlinked Middle Eastern crime syndicates.
In simultaneous operations, nine men and a woman were arrested in Sydney on Tuesday and five men were arrested in the UAE by Dubai police, according to the AFP.
Authorities in the Netherlands at the same time arrested two men alleged to have been responsible for arranging the supply of drugs to an Australia-based syndicate, the AFP said.
“The people we allege are part of this syndicate are Middle Eastern organized crime figures that are well-known to law enforcement, and for decades this group has flaunted their wealth and activities, telling the community they were untouchable,” AFP Assistant Commissioner Neil Gaughan said in a statement.
“Today, it should be obvious that they are not,” he said.
Police raided 32 homes in Sydney and issued 52 warrants on Tuesday in what they said was one of the biggest attacks on organized crime in Australian history, according to an AFP spokesman.
The investigation began in mid-2016, targeting organized crime groups attempting to import large quantities of drugs and tobacco, according to authorities.
A container of drugs was seized in the Netherlands in July, which was allegedly bound for Australia in shipping containers, the AFP spokesman said.
A total of 1.8 tons of MDMA, also known as ecstasy, 136 kg of cocaine and 15 kg of crystal methamphetamine were seized by authorities in the Netherlands, Australian police said.
The AFP estimated the value of the drugs at up to 810 million Australian dollars ($642 million) if sold on the street in Australia.
A total of around 7 million Australian dollars in cash and property were seized in Sydney as part of the operation, according to authorities.


Fire breaks out at Iranian industrial area

Updated 04 August 2020

Fire breaks out at Iranian industrial area

  • A fire department official told state TV that the cause of the fire was under investigation
  • There have been several other incidents at facilities in the past weeks

DUBAI: A fire broke out at an Iranian industrial area near Tehran on Tuesday, Iran’s state TV reported, the latest in a string of fires and explosions, some of which have hit sensitive sites.
“The fire broke out at the industrial area of the Jajrud district in the Pardis county this morning ... there were no casualties ... firefighters are trying to contain the fire,” it said.
A fire department official told state TV that the cause of the fire was under investigation.
There have been several other incidents at facilities in the past weeks, including a fire at the underground Natanz nuclear facility last month which caused significant damage, but Iranian officials said operations were not affected.
In an explosion at a medical clinic in the north of the capital Tehran in July, 19 people were killed. Officials said it was caused by a gas leak.
On June 26, an explosion occurred east of Tehran near the Parchin military and weapons development base that the authorities said was caused by a leak in a gas storage facility in an area outside the base.