Saudi Arabia’s PIF commits $20 billion to $40 billion education, health care fund with Blackstone

Yasir Al-Rumayyan, Chief Executive and Managing Director of Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, Christine Lagarde, International Monetary Fund (IMF) Managing Director, and Amin Nasser, President and Chief Executive Officer of Aramco, attend the Future Investment Initiative conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia October 24, 2017. (REUTERS)
Updated 24 October 2017

Saudi Arabia’s PIF commits $20 billion to $40 billion education, health care fund with Blackstone

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), the country’s main sovereign wealth fund, will contribute $20 billion to a $40 billion fund with US private equity firm Blackstone, its managing director said on Tuesday.
The fund will invest in “conventional economy” including sectors such as medical care and education, Yasir Al Rumayyan said at a major investment conference in the capital Riyadh.
PIF and US private equity firm Blackstone announced the fund in May with the execution of a memorandum of understanding for the launch of an infrastructure investment vehicle with an anchor $20 billion contribution by PIF.
As part of Saudi Arabia’s economic reforms announced last year, the Saudi government plans to expand PIF, founded in 1971, to finance development projects in the country.
PIF expects to create over 20,000 jobs by 2020 through its projects, Al Rumayyan also said on Tuesday.
“With our short term plans, we will have more than 20,000 jobs in 2020 and beyond it’s going to be a lot more.”
The Public Investment Fund has a portfolio made up of listed holdings, but also unlisted equity investments, international investments, real estate, loans, bonds and sukuk.


WEEKLY ENERGY RECAP: Keeping things in balance

Updated 08 December 2019

WEEKLY ENERGY RECAP: Keeping things in balance

  • The over-compliance will result in cuts of 1.7 million bpd

Brent crude rose above $64 per barrel after OPEC+ producers unanimously agreed to deepen output cuts by 503,000 barrels per day (bpd) to a total 1.7 million bpd till the end of the first quarter of 2020.

The breakdown is that OPEC producers are due to cut 372,000 bpd and non-OPEC producers to cut 131,000 bpd.

Current market dynamics led to this decision as oil price-positive news outweighed more bearish developments in the US-China trade narrative that has weighed on oil prices throughout the year, with US crude exports rising to a record 3.4 million bpd in October versus 3.1 million bpd in September.

OPEC November crude oil output levels at 29.8 million bpd show that producers were already overcomplying with its current 1.2 million bpd output cuts deal by around 400,000 bpd. 

The over-compliance will result in cuts of 1.7 million bpd, especially when Saudi Arabia continues to voluntarily cut more than its share.

This makes the agreed 1.7 million bpd output cuts pragmatic since it won’t taken any barrels out of the market.

It isn’t a matter of OPEC making room in the market for other additional supplies from non-OPEC sources, as OPEC barrels can’t be easily replaced.

Instead, this is about avoiding any oversupply that might damage the global supply-demand balance.

Saudi energy minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman has effectively kept his promise and managed to smoothly forge a consensus among OPEC and non-OPEC producers.

He has also successfully managed the 24-country coalition of OPEC+ including Russia in reaching an agreement.

Despite suggestions otherwise in recent coverage of the Vienna meeting, the deeper cuts announced on Friday have nothing to do with the Aramco IPO. Let’s remember this meeting was scheduled six months ago and the IPO has been in the works for much longer.

The Aramco share sale did not target a specific oil price. If that was a motivating factor it could easily have chosen another time.