Dramatic video of Abu Dhabi pile-up goes viral on social media

More than 40 vehicles were involved in a astonishing collision in the fog on Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Road. (Courtesy: Abu Dhabi Police)
Updated 06 February 2018

Dramatic video of Abu Dhabi pile-up goes viral on social media

ABU DHABI: Twenty-two people were injured, two of them critically, when dozens of vehicles collided in heavy fog outside Abu Dhabi on Tuesday, according to UAE media reports.
Dramatic footage of the incident was captured on video by commuters. The crash on the E311 road, also known as the Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Road, happened about 8am local time as visibility reduced to just a few meters.

Commuters are seen leaving their cars and climbing over the barrier to escape as between 40 and 70 vehicles pile-up.
Abu Dhabi Police have blamed the crash on drivers’ failure to leave ample distance between vehicles, not obeying speed limits and disregard for safety in the foggy weather.
According to reports, the accident blocked traffic from Dubai and cars remained stuck in traffic for some time before police were able to clear the carnage.

Brigadier Khalifa Mohammed Al-Khaili, director of the traffic and patrols directorate, said there was a quick response by traffic patrols and many emergency vehicles helped in returning the road to normal.
He said: “The police had already put in place emergency plans for foggy conditions, including banning lorries and buses transporting workers from using roads during such conditions. Such vehicles were instead to wait until the roads became clear to ensure the safety of road users and avoid possible fatal accidents.”
According to UAE media reports, he added that it's "absurd" that these sort of accidents were still happening in spite of daily warnings and alert messages about fog to drivers through their social media accounts.


Paris Louvre museum reopens Monday after crippling losses

Updated 04 July 2020

Paris Louvre museum reopens Monday after crippling losses

  • The Louvre in Paris has been closed since March 13
  • Among more than 10 million visitors in 2018, almost three-quarters were tourists

PARIS: The Louvre in Paris, the world’s most visited museum and home to the Mona Lisa, reopens on Monday but with coronavirus restrictions in place and parts of the complex closed to visitors.
The Louvre has been closed since March 13 and this has already led “to losses of over 40 million euros,” its director Jean-Luc Martinez said.
Among more than 10 million visitors in 2018, almost three-quarters were tourists.
“We have lost 80 percent of our public. Seventy-five percent of our visitors were foreigners,” Martinez said.
“We will at best see 20 to 30 percent of our numbers recorded last summer — between 4,000 and 10,000 visitors daily at the most,” he said.
Visitors will have to wear masks, there will be no snacks or cloakrooms available and the public will have to follow a guided path through the museum.
Positions have been marked in front of the Mona Lisa — where tourists routinely pose for selfies — to ensure social distancing.
France contributes $112 million to the Louvre’s $222.5 million annual budget and the museum must make up the rest, according to experts.
Seventy percent of the museum’s public areas — or 45,000 square meters (about 485,000 square feet) — will be open to the public.
After the success of its blockbuster Leonardo exhibition which closed earlier this year, the Louvre said its two exhibitions scheduled for spring and then postponed would now take place in the autumn.
These are on Italian sculpture from Donatello to Michelangelo and the renaissance German master Albrecht Altdorfer.
The Louvre has upped its virtual presence during the lockdown and said it was now the most followed museum in the world on Instagram with over four million followers.
Martinez is planning a revamp of the museum ahead of 2024, when Paris hosts the Olympic Games.