Riyadh governor launches SR3 billion educational projects in Saudi capital

Saudi students sit for their final high school exams in the Red Sea port city of Jeddah. (AFP/Amer Salem)
Updated 26 April 2018

Riyadh governor launches SR3 billion educational projects in Saudi capital

  • 253 schools will open their doors to students: governor
  • The school buildings would serve 206,465 male and female students at all stages of schooling with 5,899 classrooms

RIYADH: Riyadh Gov. Prince Faisal bin Bandar launched SR3 billion ($800 million) worth of educational projects on Wednesday at the Riyadh General Administration of Education. 

The launch was in the presence of Education Minister Ahmed Al-Issa and a number of educational and pedagogical leaders as well as governmental bodies.

Prince Faisal said: “Today, we are seeing the cancelation of many old schools and the enhancement of many new ones; 253 schools will open their doors to students, a very high number that is not very common in many other states.”

The director general of education in Riyadh, Hamad bin Nasser Al-Wahaibi, said the educational projects aimed to achieve the Kingdom’s Vision 2030, which includes providing an adequate educational environment for students and teachers.

He said that the number of educational projects launched on Wednesday by Prince Faisal totaled 253 educational buildings, including 132 for boys and 121 for girls, along with 122 modern gyms, 44 playing fields, and 28 kindergartens and educational offices. He said that the school buildings would serve 206,465 male and female students at all stages of schooling with 5,899 classrooms. 

The total worth of these projects was SR3 billion ($800 million) and the current school year had seen the operation of 48 educational projects worth more than SR572 million.

These projects included four kindergartens, 12 primary schools, 11 educational projects for middle school, five for high school and 13 educational complexes and gyms. 

This year, seven kindergarten buildings, 22 primary schools, 15 middle schools, nine high school buildings and 20 gyms were operated, along with 31 buildings for boys (including 757 classrooms for 22,000 students) and 33 buildings for girls (including 404 classrooms for 12,000 female students), he said.

He said that the Riyadh administration supervised 119 educational projects worth more than SR1.2 billion.


Saudi Arabia announces 37 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 32 min 52 sec ago

Saudi Arabia announces 37 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 252,039
  • A total of 3,167 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 37 more deaths from COVID-19 and 1,428 new cases of the disease on Sunday.
Of the new cases, 125 were recorded in Makkah, 106 in the capital Riyadh, 68 in Hufof, 59 in Jazan and 57 in Jeddah.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 252,039 after 1,599 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 3,167 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.