Idris Elba’s next movie ‘will be Saudi-made’

Idris Elba spoke at the launch of $35 billion ‘Quality of Life’ program in Riyadh.
Updated 05 May 2018

Idris Elba’s next movie ‘will be Saudi-made’

  • “Saudi Arabia has an awesome opportunity to spread its culture through film-making,” says Elba in a speech.
  • Elba was speaking on Thursday at the launch of Saudi Arabia’s $35 billion “Quality of Life” program of cultural, sports and entertainment initiatives.

RIYADH: The British movie star and director Idris Elba plans to make his next movie in Saudi Arabia, as the Kingdom takes steps to create a viable entertainment industry.

“Saudi Arabia gave me an opportunity to make my film here. It made sense on an economical model,” Elba said. “I would definitely be here — why not?”

The London-born star made his name in the gritty US television drama “The Wire” and the British detective series “Luther,” before playing the title role in the biopic “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.”

He has also starred in movies in the “Star Trek” and Marvel “Avengers” franchises, and was named in the 2016 Time 100 list of the Most Influential People in the World. He made his directorial debut this year with “Yardie.”

Elba, 45, was speaking on Thursday at the launch of Saudi Arabia’s $35 billion “Quality of Life” program of cultural, sports and entertainment initiatives.

The event was attended by celebrities including the American actress Katie Holmes and the French footballer Thierry Henry.   

“Saudi Arabia has an awesome opportunity to spread its culture through film-making,” Elba said during a speech at the launch.


Saudi Arabia announces 31 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 18 September 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 31 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 308,352
  • A total of 4,430 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 31 more deaths from the coronavirus and 576 new cases of the disease on Friday.
Of the new cases, 58 were recorded in Makkah, 52 in Jeddah, 37 in Dammam, 35 in Riyadh and 33 in Madinah.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 308,352 after 1,145 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 4,430 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.