Yemen’s army advances towards Hodeidah

A Yemeni fighter loyal to Hadi mountainous area overlooking Bab al-Mandab Strait September 15, 2016. (AFP)
Updated 11 June 2018

Yemen’s army advances towards Hodeidah

  • Sources said the fighting centered in the area of ​​Quba, located five kilometers south of the Hodeidah airport.
  • There were a number of civilian deaths and the Houthi militia suffered dozens of fatalities and many were injured

DUBAI: Yemen’s army, supported by Saudi-led Arab coalition, continued their advancement towards the center of Hodeidah province.

The website of the Yemeni Ministry of Defense, citing sources on the ground, said the army launched attacks on sites held by the Iran-backed Houthi militia in the area of Durahmi.

The sources said the fighting centered in the area of ​​Quba, located five kilometers south of the Hodeidah airport.

A Yemeni military source said the army had made progress on the ground in the Husseiniya area.

There were a number of civilian deaths and the Houthi militia suffered dozens of fatalities and many were injured.

Meanwhile Arab coalition Apache aircraft launched intensive air strikes hitting Houthi targets in several areas south of the province.

Sources said Apache raids targeted militia concentrations in the farm of Barzah and on the road linking the areas of Zabid and al-Haytha, leaving more than 80 dead and dozens injured.

Elsewhere in the Nham area, east of Sanaa, units of the Yemeni army attacked elements of the Houthi militia on Monday.

According to a statement quoted by the site of (26 September) of the Yemeni Ministry of Defense, there were violent clashes between the two sides in Jabal al-Jubair and Wattah al-Hamra.

The source added that the army inflicted heavy losses on the militia, several were also captured.

In the district of Sarawah, west of Marib province, the army took control of three military positions controlled by the militia.

The army launched an artillery attack over the various locations, striking members of the Houthi militia in the Zughan and Ajram areas.


UAE examines thousands for COVID-19, opens new drive-through test facilities

Updated 32 min 46 sec ago

UAE examines thousands for COVID-19, opens new drive-through test facilities

  • The UAE has tested 40,000 people in the last two days for COVID-19
  • There have been a further 13 drive-through test facilities opened in the UAE

DUBAI: The UAE has tested more than 40,000 people for the coronavirus in the last two days, the Ministry of Health and Prevention confirmed on Sunday.

The continued increase in tests led to the detection of 331 new cases in the country, bringing the total number of people infected in the UAE to 2,990.

The number of fatalities has increased after the death of two people - both who had pre-existing health conditions - bringing the death toll to 14, the ministry added.

Meanwhile there have been more people recovering from COVID-19, the latest being 29 people making a full recovery, bring that total to 268.

The UAE continues to open drive-through testing facilities in the country.

The Abu Dhabi Health Services Company, SEHA, opened 13 of the new faciltities.

“In collaboration with our strategic partners across the UAE, SEHA has equipped all drive-through centers with the most advanced testing systems, techniques and globally-accredited health care teams,” said Group Deputy Chief Executive Officer, SEHA, Rashid Al-Qubaisi.

He said that all centers were equipped with the latest in testing systems and medical devices.

“There are 630 of the most experienced and qualified medical professionals from SEHA’s network, staffing the centers,” he added.

The test at the drive-through facilities take five minutes.

There are seven drive-through testing centers have opened, so far, in Abu Dhabi, with three in Abu Dhabi City, Al Wathba and Al Bahia – they are open between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., from Sunday to Thursday.

There are also two in Al Ain in the Asharj and Al Hili areas.

People can book an appointment through the SEHA hotline on 800 1717 or alternatively the SEHA smartphone app.

Both callers and users of the app be asked a series of questions to help evaluate their condition, and then given an appointment for a test.

Al-Qubaisi said priority will be given to people exhibiting symptoms of the virus, or those most vulnerable to the infection including pregnant women, the elderly, people with disabilities and those suffering from chronic illnesses.

The test costs $100.