Second straight loss clips Etihad’s wings

Etihad has been overhauling its strategy since 2016 with changes to top management, dropping unprofitable routes, and retiring operationally costly aircraft. (Courtesy Etihad)
Updated 14 June 2018
0

Second straight loss clips Etihad’s wings

  • Abu Dhabi carrier reduced core losses by 22 percent to $1.52 billion
  • Passenger numbers for the year were flat at 18.6 million

LONDON: Etihad Airways reported its second consecutive annual loss on Thursday, with losses forecast to continue as the Abu Dhabi-based carrier maintains its ambitious turnaround strategy following years of high spending.

Higher fuel prices, costs associated with the turnaround, and the insolvency of its European subsidiaries Alitalia and Air Berlin contributed to the losses, which were slightly lower than those recorded the previous year.

The UAE’s national carrier reduced core losses by 22 percent to $1.52 billion for 2017, thanks to a 7.3 percent cut in costs, while annual revenues rose by 1.9 percent to $6.1 billion.

But Etihad’s passenger numbers for the year were flat at 18.6 million. The airline filled an average of 78.5 percent of its seats during the year, a figure little changed from 2016.

“We made good progress in improving the quality of our revenues, streamlining our cost base, improving our cash flow and strengthening our balance sheet,” Tony Douglas, Etihad’s group CEO, said.

“These are solid first steps in a journey to transform this business into one that is positioned for financially sustainable growth over the long term. It is crucial that we maintain this momentum.”

Despite the trimmed losses, Etihad remains in the early stages of its turnaround, with a lot more work to be done, according to John Strickland, an analyst with UK-based JLS Consulting.

“It also faces more challenging market conditions with over-capacity and rising fuel prices, and this is reflected in it making significant cuts to its own output,” Strickland told Arab News.

“I expect more pain to come before it is able to reach a position of stability.”

The recovery of oil prices in the second half of 2017 increased fuel costs for the airline industry.

Etihad said that higher fuel prices cost the airline $337 million during the year.

The carrier’s turnaround strategy follows several years of aggressive expansion under former CEO James Hogan, which saw it acquire stakes in several international airlines in a bid to catch up with rivals such as Dubai-based Emirates.

The expansion hit the buffers last year, with the insolvency of Alitalia and Air Berlin, two of its largest interests. Etihad subsequently sold its stake in European regional carrier Darwin Airline, with rumors earlier this year that it may also look to offload its stake in Virgin Australia, after the latter canceled its last route to Abu Dhabi earlier last year.

According to Saj Ahmad, chief analyst at Strategic Aero Research, it may be three or four years before the airline is profitable again because of flat revenues and passenger numbers.

“This is irrespective of whether it curtails its capital expenditure on new airplanes or axing less profitable routes,” he said.

Earlier this week Reuters reported that Etihad was in talks to cancel or defer some of its orders of Boeing 777X aircraft.

Ahmad suggested that Etihad may look to new alliances with other large international carriers, particularly US-based airlines, in a bid to increase traffic through its Abu Dhabi hub.

The settlement last month of a bitter dispute between UAE carriers and some of their US counterparts, which had accused Etihad and Emirates of abusing Open Skies agreements, makes this more likely.

Under the terms of the deal, Emirates and Etihad agreed to publish annual financial statements “consistent with internationally recognized accounting standards,” with the carriers saying they had no plans to introduce additional “fifth freedom flights” — journeys to the US from other countries undertaken without passengers setting foot in the UAE.

“Etihad would derive far better income generation through partnering any one of the big US three airlines — not least because they won’t collapse like Air Berlin or Alitalia,” said Ahmad.

“Looking at joining Skyteam or the Star Alliances may also be food for thought, too.”


Huawei in public test as it unveils sanction-hit phone

Updated 19 September 2019

Huawei in public test as it unveils sanction-hit phone

  • Hit by US sanctions, Huawei's Mate 30 will not be allowed to use Google’s Play Store
  • Household-name services like WhatsApp, Instagram and Google Maps will be unavailable.
BERLIN: Chinese tech giant Huawei launches its latest high-end smartphone in Munich on Thursday, the first that could be void of popular Google apps because of US sanctions.
Observers are asking whether a phone without the Silicon Valley software that users have come to depend on can succeed, or whether Huawei will have found a way for buyers to install popular apps despite the constraints.
The company has maintained a veil of secrecy over its plans, set to be dropped at a 1200 GMT press conference revealing the Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro models.
Huawei, targeted directly by the United States as part of a broader trade conflict with Beijing, was added to a “blacklist” in Washington in May.
Since then, it has been illegal for American firms to do business with the Chinese firm, suspected of espionage by President Donald Trump and his administration.
As a result, the new Mate will run on a freely available version of Android, the world’s most-used phone operating system that is owned by the search engine heavyweight.
While Mate 30 owners will experience little difference in the use of the system, the lack of Google’s Play Store — which provides access to hundreds of thousands of third-party apps and games as well as films, books and music — could hobble them.
Household-name services like WhatsApp, Instagram and Google Maps will be unavailable.
The tech press reports that this yawning gap in functionality has left some sellers reluctant to stock the new phones, fearing a wave of rapid-fire returns from dissatisfied customers.
Huawei president Richard Yu said at Berlin’s IFA electronics fair this month that his engineers found a “very simple” way to install the hottest apps without going via the Play Store.
Huawei could offer its own app store in a preliminary version, setting itself up as a competitor to the dominant Apple and Google offerings, observers speculate.
Over the longer term, the company could build out a similar “ecosystem” of devices, apps and services as the Silicon Valley companies that would bind users more closely to it.
The world’s second-largest smartphone maker after Samsung, Huawei earlier this month presented its proprietary operating system HarmonyOS, a potential replacement for Android.
The Mate 30 will not yet have HarmonyOS installed.
But it could make for a new round in the decades-old “OS wars” between Microsoft’s Windows and Apple’s Mac OS, then Android versus Apple’s iOS.
Meanwhile, Eric Xu, current holder of Huawei’s rotating chief executive chair, has urged Europe to foster an alternative to Google and Apple.
That could provide an opening for Huawei to build up Europe’s market of 500 million well-off consumers as a stronghold against American rivals.
“If Europe had its own ecosystem for smart devices, Huawei would use it... that would resolve the problem of European digital dependency” on the United States, Xu told German business daily Handelsblatt.
He added that his company would be prepared to invest in developing such joint European-Chinese projects.