China files WTO challenge to US’ $200 billion tariff plan

China has criticized US President Donald Trump’s proposal for a tariff hike on $200 billion of Chinese goods. (Chinatopix via AP)
Updated 16 July 2018

China files WTO challenge to US’ $200 billion tariff plan

  • The one-sentence Commerce Ministry statement gave no legal grounds for the challenge or other details
  • Beijing has stepped up diplomatic efforts to recruit support from Europe and South Korea

BEIJING: China announced it filed a World Trade Organization challenge Monday to US President Donald Trump’s proposal for a tariff hike on $200 billion of Chinese goods, reacting swiftly amid deepening concern about the economic impact of their spiraling technology dispute.
The one-sentence Commerce Ministry statement gave no legal grounds for the challenge or other details. It is an unusually rapid move for a trade case, coming less than one week after the US Trade Representative announced the tariff plan, which wouldn’t take effect until at least September.
The USTR said last week that it proposed the levy in response to Beijing’s decision to retaliate for US tariff hikes over complaints China is hurting American companies by stealing or pressuring foreign enterprises to hand over technology.
China criticized the move but has yet to say whether it would retaliate for the second round of tariffs. Its lopsided trade balance with the United States means it has only $80 billion of annual imports of American goods left for retaliation following its earlier measures.
Beijing has stepped up diplomatic efforts to recruit support from Europe, South Korea and other trading partners but so far without success.


Egypt expects several share offerings by end of year

Updated 15 September 2019

Egypt expects several share offerings by end of year

  • One small company worth about 50 million Egyptian pounds was also expected to offer shares on the Nile Stock Exchange

CAIRO: Egypt expects two state companies and one private pharmaceuticals firm worth more than $61.3 million, or one billion Egyptian pounds, to make share offerings by the end of the year, an official at the Financial Regulatory Authority said on Sunday.
One small company worth about 50 million Egyptian pounds was also expected to offer shares on the Nile Stock Exchange, which specializes in small and medium sized enterprises, said Sayed Abdel Fadeel, head of the authority’s corporate finance department. He did not name the companies.
Egypt promised to sell minority stakes in several state companies in late 2018 but postponed the offerings following emerging market turbulence.