Prince Alwaleed acquires 2.3% stake in Snapchat

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said he made the Snapchat investment in May. (AFP)
Updated 09 August 2018
0

Prince Alwaleed acquires 2.3% stake in Snapchat

  • $250 million (SR950 million) investment was made in May at a cost of $11 a share
  • The prince met Evan Spiegel, CEO of Snapchat in 2015

JEDDAH: Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has acquired a 2.3 percent stake in Snapchat in a deal worth $250 million (SR950 million).

The investment was made in May at a cost of $11 a share, making Prince Alwaleed a significant individual shareholder in this social media company, a statement from the businessman said. 

“Snapchat is one of the most innovative social media platforms in the world and we believe it has only just begun to scratch the surface of its true potential and we are blessed to be part of it,” Prince Alwaleed said. 

He met with Evan Spiegel, CEO of Snapchat in 2015, when he visited Riyadh. 

The prince already has investments in leading global technology companies, including Twitter, JD.com and Lyft. 

On Thursday, the businessman announced a $267 million deal to buy newly issued shares in the Dutch music streaming service Deezer through his Kingdom Holding investment company and Rotana Group, the entertainment company he also owns.


Oil prices climb as Saudi capacity cushions impact

Updated 20 September 2019

Oil prices climb as Saudi capacity cushions impact

  • Kingdom pledges return to capacity by end of November as Kuwait strengthens security for oil sector

LONDON: Oil prices gained on Thursday, supported by supply risks as the market assesses the fallout from last weekend’s drone attacks on Saudi oil
infrastructure.

Brent crude futures gained $1.78 to $63.80 a barrel, while US West Texas Intermediate crude was up $1.28 at $58.40 a barrel.

The attacks knocked out around half of Saudi Arabia’s crude production and severely limited the country’s spare capacity, a cushion for oil markets in any unplanned outage.

“Global available spare capacity is extremely low at present following the weekend attacks, leaving little room for additional outages, which tends to be price supportive,” UBS oil analyst Giovanni Staunovo said.

Earlier this week Saudi Arabia set out a timeline for a resumption of full operations, saying it had restored supplies to customers at levels prior to the attacks by drawing from its oil inventories.

HIGHLIGHTS

• US to impose more sanctions on Iran.

• Cushing stocks at lowest since October, 2018.

• Global excess capacity at low level.

The Kingdom said it would restore its lost production by the end of this month, and bring its output capacity back to 12 million barrels per day by the end of November.

“These plans suggest Saudi Arabia will have no spare capacity for at least the next two and a half months,” consultancy Energy Aspects said.

Saudi Arabia, the world’s leading oil exporter, has said the crippling attack on its oil sites was “unquestionably sponsored” by Iran.

US President Donald Trump said there were many options short of war with Iran and added that he had ordered the US Treasury to “substantially increase sanctions” on Tehran. Iran has denied involvement in the strikes.

Iran warned President Trump against being dragged into all-out war in the Middle East.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has described the weekend strike as an act of war and has been discussing possible retaliation with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf allies.

Kuwait’s oil sector has raised its security to the highest level as a precaution, a Kuwaiti official said.

Separately, weekly data from the Energy Information Administration on US oil inventories provided a mixed snapshot.

Stockpiles of crude in the US the world’s largest oil producer, rose by 1.1 million barrels last week against analysts’ expectations for a drop of 2.5 million barrels.

However, stocks at Cushing, Oklahoma, the delivery point for benchmark futures, fell to their lowest since October 2018.