KSRelief donates medical equipment to the Rohingyas

KSRelief donated around $400,000 worth medical aid for Rohingya refugees in the relief camps in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. (IOM)
Updated 03 September 2018

KSRelief donates medical equipment to the Rohingyas

  • KSRelief has donated US$400,000 in hospital operations

DHAKA: On Sunday morning, Hajjera Khatun, 34, a Rohingya refugee of Leda Camp, Cox’s Bazar, visited the Malaysian Field Hospital (MFH) to see her four-year-old son Mohammad Nejad, who cannot walk because of his leg, which has been crippled since birth.
“I have visited this hospital several times before. Probably my son requires surgery and the doctors prescribed some medicine today with the suggestion to bring the child again after one month,” Khatun told Arab News.
For many of the Rohingyas in the Cox’s Bazar area, this hospital is one of the few last resorts for receiving quality treatment in the Rohingya camp areas.
Since December 2017, the MFH has treated more than 25,000 patients from the Rohingya and Bangladesh community, including 768 surgeries.
The 55-bed field hospital was set up by the Malaysian government in response to the Rohingya humanitarian crisis with the support of King Salman Humanitarian aid and relief center (KSRelief) and the UAE.
KSRelief donated a large amount of medical aid equipment to the MFH last Friday to facilitate medical support to Rohingya refugees in the relief camps of Cox’s Bazar.
Dr. Sulieman Ahmed Al-Shurei of KSRelief and Hussein Al-Anzi, director of the office of the Ambassador of Saudi Arabia handed over the equipment to the MFH director, Dr. Mohd Arshil bin Moideen.
“We have received 18 high-value batches of medical equipment from KSRelief, which will help a lot in our treatment and diagnosis process. So far KSRelief has donated around $400,000 in our hospital operations,” Moideen told Arab News.
This level 3 tertiary field hospital provides all sorts of medical care, such as two operating theaters, ICU, wards, dental services, emergency department, labor room, pediatric unit, orthopedic unit, internal medicine unit, Obgyn unit, preventive medicine unit and a logistic unit, Moideen said.


Saudi health minister promises to procure tested vaccine

Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah. (AP)
Updated 20 October 2020

Saudi health minister promises to procure tested vaccine

  • COVID-19 cases continue to decline in Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Saudi Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah on Monday said the Kingdom will procure vaccine for the novel coronavirus once it is confirmed to be safe and effective.

He said research on the vaccine is underway in a number of countries and the Saudi health authorities are following the developments.
The number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continues to decline in the Kingdom with the recovery rate from the illness rising to 96 percent. The minister attributed the decline on the “commitment to health precautions.”
“I also thank my fellow health practitioners for their wonderful efforts,” Al-Rabiah said.
Commenting on the second and stronger wave of COVID-19 in some countries, he said it was due to a lack of “commitment to social distancing” and failure to wear masks and taking other precautions.
He ruled out any leniency on part of the government in its fight against the virus. The minister said it is necessary to abide by precautionary measures to keep the virus at bay.

FASTFACTS

• Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday.

• With 16 new fatalities, the virus-related death toll has risen to 5,201.

“We (all) are in one boat, and the failure of some affects everyone, so we must work together” to check the spread of the virus.
He also advised people who show COVID-19 symptoms to visit Tetamman (rest assured) clinics.
“Appointments can be made through the ministry’s Sehaty app, and anyone who has any questions or wants to consult a doctor can call 937,” the minister said.
Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday. The total number of COVID-19 cases has reached 348,583 since the beginning of the outbreak in the Kingdom.
The Health Ministry said 16 more people died due to complications caused by the virus raising the death toll to 5,201. The ministry also reported 357 new recoveries. The total number of recovered cases has now increased to 328,895.