Saudi Royal Air Defense Forces intercept a ballistic missile launched by Yemen’s Houthi militia toward Jazan

Saudi Arabia intercepted a ballistic missile fired by the Iran-backed Houthi militia toward Jazan. (File photo / AFP)
Updated 16 September 2018

Saudi Royal Air Defense Forces intercept a ballistic missile launched by Yemen’s Houthi militia toward Jazan

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s air defense forces intercepted a ballistic missile launched by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia from within Yemen territory toward the Kingdom, according to Arab Coalition Spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki.
“At exactly 4:49 p.m. local time (1:49 GMT) coalition air defense forces spotted the launch of a ballistic missile by the Houthi militia from within the province of Saada toward the Kingdom’s territory,” he said in a statement.
Col. Al-Maliki added that the missile was launched toward the southwestern city of Jazan and was launched to target civilian and populated areas.
He confirmed the air defense forces were able to intercept and destroy the missile with no casualties were reported.
“This hostile act by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia proves the continued involvement of the Iranian regime in supporting the armed terrorist group in clear and explicit defiance of UN resolution 2216 and resolution 2231, aimed at threatening the security of Saudi Arabia, as well as regional and international security,” Al-Maliki said.
He added that firing ballistic missiles at populated towns and villages is contrary to international humanitarian law.
He pointed out that the total number of ballistic missiles launched by the Houthi militi toward Saudi Arabia has so far reached 195 rockets, which resulted in the deaths of 112 citizens and residents, and wounded hundreds since the Houthi coup on Yemen’s legitimate government.
The coalition spokesperson stressed that the Iranian-backed Houthi militia and those supporting them, who “smuggle these rockets into the Yemeni interior and then launch them indiscriminately at populated cities and terrorize citizens and residents of the Kingdom’s territory, will not escape impunity, and will be pursued until they receive their punishment.
He said, “these acts do not deter coalition forces but rather increase their determination to rid the Yemeni people of the Houthi militia and cut off their flagrant occupations.”
The total number of ballistic missiles fired by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia toward the Kingdom so far has reached 197, causing the deaths of 112 civilians and residents and injuring hundreds.


Saudi Arabia welcomes Egypt’s new initiative for Libya

Updated 4 min 54 sec ago

Saudi Arabia welcomes Egypt’s new initiative for Libya

  • The Kingdom urged both the LNA and the GNA to implement a cease-fire immediately
  • Saudi Arabia also urged both to start negotiating under the auspices of the UN in order to establish safety in Libya

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia welcomed Egypt’s new initiative for Libya and president Abdel Fattah El-Sisi’s call for a cease-fire in the country on Saturday.
The Kingdom also welcomed all international efforts aiming to stop the fighting in Libya and encouraged negotiations based on the initiative, called the “Cairo declaration,” and recommendations made at the Geneva and Berlin conferences on Libya.
The Kingdom urged both eastern commander Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) and the rival Government of National Accord (GNA) to implement a cease-fire immediately.
Saudi Arabia also urged both to start negotiating under the auspices of the UN in order to establish safety and security in Libya and protect it from foreign interference.