Macron ‘awaiting explanation’ from Iran on who ordered France bomb plot

French President Emmanuel Macron addresses the audience as he visits the Station F startup campus in Paris, France, Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018. (Ludovic Marin/Pool Photo via AP)
Updated 13 October 2018

Macron ‘awaiting explanation’ from Iran on who ordered France bomb plot

  • France’s foreign ministry said on Oct. 2 there was no doubt the Iranian intelligence ministry was behind the June plot
  • The plot targeted a meeting of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) outside Paris

PARIS: French President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday it was not clear whether a foiled attack on a Paris-based Iranian opposition group was ordered by the higher echelons of authorities in Tehran.
“As you know Iran is sometimes divided into different factions and tensions, and so I can’t say today whether the order came from the top or from this (security) service or that division,” he told France 24 television in an interview.
France’s foreign ministry said on Oct. 2 there was no doubt the Iranian intelligence ministry was behind the June plot and froze assets belonging to Tehran’s intelligence services and two Iranian nationals.
The plot targeted a meeting of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) outside Paris. US President Donald Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani and several former European and Arab ministers attended the rally.
Belgium charged an Iranian diplomat and three other individuals on Oct. 10 with planning to bomb the meeting. Two of the suspects were intercepted by Belgian police.
One senior French official told Reuters the plot is likely to have been hatched by hard-liners looking to undermine President Hassan Rouhani, who has tried to improve Iran’s relations with the outside world.
Macron said he was still awaiting explanations, but that Rouhani had not given him any during two exchanges he had with the Iranian president.
The hardening of relations between Paris and Tehran could have far-reaching consequences for Rouhani’s government, which is looking to European capitals to salvage a 2015 nuclear deal after the United States pulled out and reimposed tough sanctions.
Macron repeated that there should be a more demanding policy toward Iran which needed to include keeping the existing deal, discussing its nuclear work after 2025 when parts of the agreement expire, its ballistic missile program and curtailing its regional influence.
“I’ve never been naive with Iran or thought it would be easy,” Macron said.


Kuwait kicks off sanitization campaign to curb coronavirus spread

Updated 11 min 9 sec ago

Kuwait kicks off sanitization campaign to curb coronavirus spread

  • The Kuwait Municipality urged citizens to stay at home and practice social distancing amid the outbreak

DUBAI: Kuwait has announced a sanitization campaign as part of the country’s ongoing efforts to combat COVID-19, the Kuwait News Agency reported on…....

The campaign “will cover all areas of the Capital Governorate, following similar works in Al-Farwaniyah Governorate,” Kuwait Minister of State for Municipal Affairs Waleel Al-Jassem said.

Al-Jassem also urged citizens to stay at home and practice social distancing amid the outbreak, which has so far affected 417 people in the country.  

The sanitization campaign will also take place in other governorates, according to Al-Jassem, assuring continued public health efforts by the Kuwait Municipality.