No extradition request for Assange, says Ecuador

People hold up images of Julian Assange that read in Spanish: ‘Ecuadorian’ as they counter-protest demands to remove his Ecuadorean nationality, in Quito. (AP Photo)
Updated 07 November 2018

No extradition request for Assange, says Ecuador

  • The 47-year-old Australian has been holed up at Ecuador's embassy since 2012
  • Ecuador has shown increasing signs in recent months that it is preparing to terminate his six-year stay

QUITO: Ecuador said Wednesday it has received no extradition request for Julian Assange, which his lawyers have long cited as the reason the WikiLeaks founder has refused to leave its London embassy.
“We have told Mr. Assange: ‘Up to now, as far as we know, there is no extradition request from any country,’” Foreign Minister Jose Valencia told state-owned Radio Public.
The 47-year-old Australian has been holed up at Ecuador’s embassy since 2012, but Ecuador has shown increasing signs in recent months that it is preparing to terminate his six-year stay.
Valencia said the cost of hosting Assange so far had come to around six million dollars.
Assange fears being extradited to the United States to face charges over the WikiLeaks website’s release of troves of sensitive US government files.
He found refuge in the embassy in London after a British judge ruled he should be extradited to face allegations of sexual assault in Sweden.
That case has since been dropped, but Britain still wants him to face justice over breaching his bail conditions following his arrest on the sexual assault allegations.
His lawyer Carlos Poveda said last month Assange was prepared to surrender to British police if he receives assurances he will not be extradited.
“What England asks of him is to appear before the British courts to answer for having broken the conditions of his provisional release,” the foreign minister said.
“We do not see the British changing their point of view, they continue to insist that he appear before the courts and that they will not give him safe passage to another country,” said Valencia.
Ecuador said it had been informed by Britain that the penalty for violating parole conditions would not be more than six months.
Assange is currently suing Ecuador on grounds that his rights were violated by its decision to restrict his Internet access. An Ecuadoran court threw out the lawsuit last week, but Assange is appealing.
Quito confirmed blocking Assange’s Internet and mobile phone access in March after accusing him of breaking “a written commitment” not to interfere in Ecuador’s foreign policies.
A protocol governing Assange’s stay at the embassy — revealed by Ecuadoran Internet site Codigo Vidrio and never denied by Quito — warns that further breaches will lead to “termination of asylum.”


South Sudan opposition leader returns to meet with president

Updated 19 October 2019

South Sudan opposition leader returns to meet with president

  • Riek Machar last met face-to-face with President Salva Kiir in September, when they discussed outstanding issues in a fragile peace deal
  • The civil war killed almost 400,000 people and displaced millions

JUBA, South Sudan: South Sudan opposition leader Riek Machar returned to the country Saturday to meet with President Salva Kiir less than a month before their deadline to form a unity government after a five-year civil war.
Machar last met face-to-face with Kiir in September, when they discussed outstanding issues in a fragile peace deal. His two-day visit includes a meeting with the US ambassador to the United Nations, who arrives Sunday with a UN Security Council delegation.
The delegation is expected to encourage progress in the peace deal signed a year ago but fraught with delays.
Both Kiir and Machar will meet with the delegation Sunday, government spokesman Michael Makuei said.
The opposition has said Machar won’t return to South Sudan for good to form the government by the Nov. 12 deadline unless security arrangements are in place.
The US has said it will reevaluate its relationship with South Sudan if that deadline is missed.
The civil war killed almost 400,000 people and displaced millions.
Before Machar’s return a unified army of 41,500 opposition and government soldiers needs to be ready along with a 3,000-person VIP protection force.
But so far there are only 1,000 unified soldiers and security arrangements won’t meet the deadline, deputy opposition spokesman Manawa Peter Gatkuoth said.
The previous Machar-Kiir meeting focused on speeding up the screening and reunification of forces, but parties left the talks with differing views.
Deputy chairman for the opposition Henry Odwar called the meeting “lukewarm,” while Makuei called it “highly successful” and said everything was on track for next month’s deadline.