Body found in rubble brings toll to 4 in Paris bakery blast

1 / 2
A general view shows debris and car wreckage following the explosion of a bakery on the corner of the streets Saint-Cecile and Rue de Trevise in central Paris on January 12, 2019. (AFP)
2 / 2
TOPSHOT — A general view shows debris and car wreckage following the explosion of a bakery on the corner of the streets Saint-Cecile and Rue de Trevise in central Paris on January 12, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 13 January 2019

Body found in rubble brings toll to 4 in Paris bakery blast

  • Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz said Saturday the cause of the blast appeared to be accidental
  • About 30 firefighters were at the site Sunday to search for other potential victims, amid a mountain of debris and wrecked cars

PARIS: Paris Fire Department said rescuers have found a woman’s body under the rubble of a bakery in Paris that was blown apart by a powerful explosion, bringing the overall death toll to four.
The blast Saturday morning in the Rue de Trevise in north-central Paris also injured dozens of people. Paris Fire Department spokesman Eric Moulin told reporters Sunday that 9 people were still in critical condition from the explosion that devastated a Paris street and 45 others also injured but not as seriously.
He had said earlier that French rescuers were searching for a missing woman living in the building where the bakery was located.
Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz said Saturday the cause of the blast appeared to be accidental. He said Paris firefighters were already on the scene to investigate a suspected gas leak at the bakery when the explosion happened. Two firefighters were among those killed.
About 30 firefighters were at the site Sunday to search for other potential victims, amid a mountain of debris and wrecked cars.
Paris authorities said 12 neighboring buildings that were damaged by the blast apparently due to a gas leak have been evacuated. Temporary accommodations were provided for about 40 residents while dozens of others have been housed by family and friends.
The city hall of Paris 9th arrondissement was offering meals and collecting clothes Sunday to help evacuated people.


Trump to issue sanctions, stop trade deal, increase tariffs on Turkey

Updated 14 October 2019

Trump to issue sanctions, stop trade deal, increase tariffs on Turkey

  • President vowed to "destroy" the Turkish economy
  • Critics say Trump's decision gave Turkey a green light to go against the Kurds

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump on Monday said that in response to Turkey's incursion into Syria he will soon issue an executive order authorizing sanctions against current and former Turkish officials, stop negotiations with Turkey on a $100 billion trade deal, and boost tariffs on Turkish steel to 50 percent.

In a statement in which he vowed to swiftly destroy the Turkish economy if it continues down "this dangerous and destructive path," Trump also said that U.S. troops coming out of Syria will redeploy and remain in the region to monitor the situation.

Before the invasion, Trump ordered a couple dozen US troops out of harm's way.

Critics say Trump's decision gave Turkey a green light to go against the Kurds, who had helped the US battle against Daesh militants.

More to follow...