Abu Dhabi TV cameraman among 7 civilians killed in Yemen bomb

Ziad Al-Sharabi, a cameraman for Abu Dhabi TV, was killed in the attack and correspondent Faisal Al-Thubhani was injured. (Twitter/Screenshot)
Updated 29 January 2019

Abu Dhabi TV cameraman among 7 civilians killed in Yemen bomb

  • The improvised explosive device was planted on a motorcycle parked in the middle of the market
  • Ziad Al-Sharabi was killed and his reporter colleague wounded

DUBAI: A bomb attack in a market killed seven Yemeni civilians including a cameraman for a UAE television channel in the government-controlled town of Mokha on Tuesday.
At least 20 people were wounded in the overnight blast in the Red Sea town, where pro-government forces backed by a Saudi-led coalition battling the Houthi militants are based.

The blast killed Ziad Al-Sharabi, a cameraman for Abu Dhabi TV and wounded Faisal Al-Thubhani, a correspondent for the same network, the official WAM news agency reported.

Abu Dhabi Media general manager, Dr Ali bin Tamim blamed the Houthi militia for the attack and said they have repeatedly targeted the media.

"This is not the first time that our frontline crews in Yemen have been exposed to Houthi violations and terrorist acts," he said.  "We will not stop exposing their brutal crimes and terror acts in Yemen on all our media platforms.”

The improvised explosive device was planted on a motorcycle parked in the middle of the market, an official in the pro-government forces said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, but the Yemeni government news agency Saba blamed it on the Iran-aligned Houthis.
The city of Mokha has enjoyed relative calm since government forces, backed by an Arab coalition that includes the UAE and Saudi Arabia, seized it from the rebels in July 2017.
Yemen’s war was sparked by the Houthis decision to seize the capital Sanaa in 2014.

The Committee to Protect Journalists said, prior to Al-Sharabi's death, that at least 16 journalists have been killed in Yemen since 2015.


Kuwait vows to cut migrant population to 30%

Updated 11 min 18 sec ago

Kuwait vows to cut migrant population to 30%

DUBAI: The Kuwaiti government said it wants to cut the migrant proportion of its population from 70 to 30 percent to address what it called a population discrepancy. 
State media quoted the country’s prime minister saying that the state of Kuwait was facing a “big challenge” in its population structure and that it shall start relying on its citizens to replace foreign workers. 
Out of 4.8 million inhabitants, some 3.3 million are foreign nationals and 1.45 million are Kuwaitis, said Prime Minister Sabah Al-Khaled al-Hamad al-Sabah.
"The ideal demographic situation would be that Kuwaitis make up 70 percent of the population and non-Kuwaitis 30 percent," he said.
"So we face a big challenge in the future which is to address the discrepancy in population."
He said there were 75,000 foreign domestic helpers in the country, which equal half the population of Kuwaiti nationals. 
“We rely on our sons and daughters to work in all professions,” Al-Sabah added.

Kuwait has a large foreign population mostly made up of Middle Eastern and Asian workers.

Kuwait Airways said last week it would lay off 1,500 expatriate employees due to "significant difficulties" caused by the pandemic.