Stan Lee to get superhero send-off at Hollywood memorial

Stan Lee died at a Los Angeles hospital in November at age 95. (File/AP)
Updated 30 January 2019

Stan Lee to get superhero send-off at Hollywood memorial

  • A public remembrance and celebration of Lee will be held around Lee's hand and footprints outside the TCL Chinese Theatre
  • The evening will include speakers, musical performances, an art exhibit

LOS ANGELES: Among comics lovers, Stan Lee was as much a superhero as the characters he helped create.
Those fans, along with Lee's friends and colleagues, will get to pay their final respects at a Los Angeles memorial Wednesday night for the Marvel Comics mastermind who helped bring the world Spider-Man, Black Panther and The Incredible Hulk.
A public remembrance and celebration of Lee will be held around Lee's hand and footprints outside the TCL Chinese Theatre, followed by a private gathering inside the theatre, according to Lee's company, POW! Entertainment, which organized the memorial.
Filmmaker and Lee super-fan Kevin Smith is among the hosts of the event whose title opens with Lee's catchphrase: "Excelsior! A Celebration of the Amazing, Fantastic, Incredible & Uncanny Life of Stan Lee ."
The evening will include speakers, musical performances, an art exhibit, and costumes and props from Lee's creations and Marvel-movie cameos.
Smith will moderate a discussion of Lee's life and work that's set to include actors Mark Hamill and Vincent D'Onofrio and Wu Tang Clan member RZA.
Smith, in a statement, called Lee "the literary titan of comic books" and "our modern-day Mark Twain."
Lee's only child, daughter J.C. Lee, also plans to attend.
Lee died at a Los Angeles hospital in November at age 95. He was laid to rest in a small private funeral the same week.
Lee's wife and partner in nearly everything, Joan Lee, died in July of 2017, leaving a void that made her husband, by then in mental and physical decline, vulnerable to hangers-on.
Lawsuits, court fights and an elder abuse investigation emerged around Lee, but all appeared to be resolved in the months before his death.
He was the face of Marvel until the end of his life and was most widely recognized for his constant cameos in dozens of Marvel movies spanning his last decades.
His co-creations with comic artists also included The Fantastic Four, Thor, Iron Man and most of the other heroes in the Marvel comic and cinematic universes.


Man eats $120,000 piece of art — a banana taped to wall

Updated 08 December 2019

Man eats $120,000 piece of art — a banana taped to wall

MIAMI: The move was bananas ... or maybe the work was just too appealing.
A performance artist shook up the crowd at the Art Basel show in Miami Beach on Saturday when he grabbed a banana that had been duct-taped to a gallery wall and ate it.
The banana was, in fact, a work of art by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan titled “Comedian” and sold to a French collector for $120,000.
In a video posted on his Instagram account, David Datuna, who describes himself as a Georgian-born American artist living in New York, walks up to the banana and pulls it off the wall with the duct tape attached.
“Art performance ... hungry artist,” he said, as he peeled the fruit and took a bite. “Thank you, very good.”
A few bystanders could be heard giggling before a flustered gallery official whisked him to an adjoining space for questioning.
But the kerfuffle was resolved without a food fight.
“He did not destroy the art work. The banana is the idea,” Lucien Terras, director of museum relations for Galerie Perrotin, told the Miami Herald.
As it turns out, the value of the work is in the certificate of authenticity, the newspaper said. The banana is meant to be replaced.
A replacement banana was taped to the wall about 15 minutes after Datuna’s stunt.
“This has brought a lot of tension and attention to the booth and we’re not into spectacles,” Terras said. “But the response has been great. It brings a smile to a lot of people’s faces.”
Cattelan is perhaps best known for his 18-carat, fully functioning gold toilet called “America” that he had once offered on loan to US President Donald Trump.
The toilet, valued at around $5 to $6 million, was in the news again in September when it was stolen from Britain’s Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of wartime leader Winston Churchill, where it had been on display.