Organization of Islamic Cooperation urges world to ensure safety of Palestinians

An Israeli soldier throws a tear gas canister at Palestinian demonstrators during a protest against Jewish settlements, in al-Mughayyir village near Ramallah, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, on February 1, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 04 February 2019

Organization of Islamic Cooperation urges world to ensure safety of Palestinians

  • Palestinian official Saeb Erekat says the UN should “guarantee the safety and protection of the people of Palestine” until “the end of Israel’s belligerent occupation”

JEDDAH: The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Saturday condemned Israeli decision to suspend operations of an international observer force in the city of Hebron, after 20 years.
The OIC declared the Israeli action a blatant violation of the Geneva Conventions and the international law.
The organization called on the international community to ensure the Temporary International Presence in Hebron (TIPH) stayed in the city to protect the Palestinian people.
The OIC also urged the world to take measures to put an end to the ongoing violations and abuses committed by Israeli settlers and the Israeli occupying forces.
TIPH has deployed unarmed civilian observers since 1997. Hundreds of hard-line Jewish settlers guarded by soldiers live in the heart of Hebron, which has over 200,000 Palestinians.
Following the Israeli decision, the Palestinians also urged the UN to deploy a permanent international force in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
Palestinian official Saeb Erekat says the UN should “guarantee the safety and protection of the people of Palestine” until “the end of Israel’s belligerent occupation.”
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said it would not extend the mandate of the TIPH, saying “we will not allow the continuation of an international force that acts against us.”


Saudi Arabia announces 37 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 09 August 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 37 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 252,039
  • A total of 3,167 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 37 more deaths from COVID-19 and 1,428 new cases of the disease on Sunday.
Of the new cases, 125 were recorded in Makkah, 106 in the capital Riyadh, 68 in Hufof, 59 in Jazan and 57 in Jeddah.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 252,039 after 1,599 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 3,167 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.