Turkish President Erdogan lashes out at El-Sisi over Egypt executions

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also attacked Western countries which, according to him, ‘roll out the red carpet’ for his Egyptian counterpart Abdel Fattah El-Sisi. (AFP)
Updated 24 February 2019

Turkish President Erdogan lashes out at El-Sisi over Egypt executions

  • ‘They killed nine young people recently. This is not something we can accept’
  • Relations between Turkey and Egypt have been virtually non-existent since the Egyptian military in 2013 ousted president Mohamed Morsi

ISTANBUL: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan sharply criticized his Egyptian counterpart Abdel Fattah El-Sisi after the recent execution of nine people in Egypt, saying he refused to talk to “someone like him.”
“They killed nine young people recently. This is not something we can accept,” Erdogan said Saturday in an interview with Turkish TV channels CNN-Turk and Kanal D, referring to the execution Wednesday of nine men sentenced for the murder of the Egyptian prosecutor general in 2015.
“Of course, we are going to be told that it is a decision of the judiciary, but there, justice, elections, all that, are codswallop. There is an authoritarian system, even totalitarian,” Erdogan added.
“Now, I am answering those who wonder why Tayyip Erdogan does not speak to El-Sisi, because there are mediators who come here sometimes, but I will never talk to someone like him,” he said.
Relations between Turkey and Egypt have been virtually non-existent since the Egyptian military, then led by El-Sisi, in 2013 ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, a close ally of Erdogan.
Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood is outlawed in Egypt but members of the group have sought refuge in Turkey.
Erdogan, who denounced Morsi’s ouster, sometimes draws a parallel with the failed coup against himself in 2016.
The Turkish president also called for the release of Muslim Brotherhood prisoners in Egypt.
“First of all, he should release all those imprisoned with a general amnesty. As long as these people have not been released, we will not be able to talk with El-Sisi,” he said.
Erdogan also attacked Western countries which, according to him, “roll out the red carpet” for El-Sisi and turn a blind eye to the latest executions in Egypt.
“Where are the Westerners? Have you heard their voices?” he said.
“On the other hand, when it comes to people imprisoned in our country (Turkey), they scream bloody murder.”
Amnesty International condemned the executions of the men, who it said were convicted in trials marred by torture allegations.


Libya rivals announce will not take part in Geneva talks

Updated 10 min 13 sec ago

Libya rivals announce will not take part in Geneva talks

  • Eastern politicians say delegation members rejected
  • The UN had planned to bring together lawmakers from both sides of Libya's conflict to end the fighting over Tripoli

TRIPOLI: Libya's rival camps announced Monday they had suspended their participation in UN-sponsored peace talks this week in Geneva, although a United Nations spokesman said negotiations would still go ahead.
A parliament based in eastern Libya, backed by strongman Khalifa Haftar, said it would not take part because the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) had not approved all its 13 representatives.
A rival authority in Tripoli, the High State Council -- the equivalent of a senate -- said it would also not participate in talks scheduled for Wednesday until progress was made in military negotiations.
"It is in light of conclusions (from military discussions) that the high council would decide to take part or not in political dialogue," the Tripoli body said.
Haftar's forces launched an offensive against Tripoli, seat of the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA), last April.
Stalemate around the capital's southern suburbs has persisted for months since then.
A joint military commission with five members from each said wound up talks Sunday in Geneva with a "draft ceasefire agreement" to be finalised in March, according to the UN mission.
A spokesman for UNSMIL said Monday that the political dialogue would still take place.
"The Libyan political dialogue will go ahead as previously scheduled, on 26 February," Jean El Alam told AFP.
"Many participants have already arrived in Geneva and we hope all invited participants follow suit," he said.
But Khaled el-Mechri of the GNA-aligned High State Council said it would not be bound by the outcome of political talks if they went ahead "before knowing the military dialogue's conclusions".