SR1.6 million allocated for Saudi farmers to go organic

A farmer carries a box containing freshly harvested corns on a farm in Al-Kharj, 77 km south of Riyadh. (SPA)
Updated 09 April 2019
0

SR1.6 million allocated for Saudi farmers to go organic

  • Agriculture ministry recently signed a 12-month contract to support small farmers to switch to organic farming

RIYADH: The Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture said in the past eight months, it has allocated SR1,617,831 ($431,000) to 165 farmers as part of its plan to support organic production.
The ministry said the number of applications submitted by farmers wishing to switch to organic farming reached 165.
The ministry recently signed a 12-month contract to support small farmers to switch to organic farming.
The contract aims to produce safe high-quality food, preserve the environment and natural resources, streamline consumption of irrigation water, and promote and support organic production.
Under the terms of the contract, the Saudi Organic Farming Society will implement guided field visits, qualify farms wishing to convert to organic agriculture, and prepare them for inspection and certification.
In January, King Salman inaugurated the Sustainable Agricultural Rural Development Program, which aims to boost production, processing and marketing of fruit, fish, livestock, Arabic coffee and cultivation of rain-fed crops.
The program will not only boost investment in the agriculture sector but it will also diversify the sector, improve the incomes of small farmers, create job opportunities and contribute to food security and sustainable development.


Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

Updated 26 min 2 sec ago

Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

  • Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an 'Iranian attack'
  • Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf. 

JEDDAH: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Wednesday described strikes on key Saudi oil installations as an “act of war” as he landed in Jeddah to meet with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an “Iranian attack”.

He said it had not come from Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militants and that there was no evidence the attacks had been launched from Iraq.

"This is an attack of a scale we've just not seen before," he added.

Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf.

Pompeo's visit comes as President Donald Trump said on Wednesday there were many options short of war with Iran after Saudi Arabia's display of remnants of drones and missiles it said were used in the I that was "unquestionably sponsored" by Tehran.

"There are many options. There's the ultimate option and there are options that are a lot less than that. And we'll see," Trump told reporters in Los Angeles. "I'm saying the ultimate option meaning go in — war."

Trump, who earlier said on Twitter that he had ordered the US Treasury to "substantially increase" sanctions on Iran, told reporters the unspecified, punitive economic measures would be unveiled within 48 hours.

Trump's tweet followed repeated US assertions that the Islamic Republic was behind Saturday's attack on Aramco facilities and came hours after Saudi Arabia said the strike was a "test of global will."

Earlier on Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had spoken with US President Donald Trump about the Aramco attack, and agreed that Iran must not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.

Also on Wednesday, Kuwait's army released a statement announcing it was raising its preparedness level for some units, given the tensions in the Middle East region.