London police open fire, arrest suspect in Ukraine embassy car crash

Police opened fire outside Ukraine’s embassy in London on Saturday after a vehicle repeatedly rammed into the ambassador’s parked car. (Screenshot/Sky News)
Updated 13 April 2019

London police open fire, arrest suspect in Ukraine embassy car crash

  • No diplomatic staff were injured in the incident
  • Police were called immediately and quickly blocked the suspect vehicle

LONDON: Police opened fire outside Ukraine’s embassy in London on Saturday after a vehicle repeatedly rammed into the ambassador’s parked car, the mission said.
No diplomatic staff were injured in the incident, which took place around 10:00am local time in the exclusive Holland Park area, and a suspect was arrested.
“The official vehicle of the ambassador of Ukraine to the UK was deliberately rammed as it sat parked in front of the embassy of Ukraine’s building,” a statement from the embassy said.
Police were called immediately and quickly blocked the suspect vehicle, but it hit the ambassador’s car again.
“In response, the police were forced to open fire on the perpetrator’s vehicle,” the statement said.
“The culprit was apprehended and taken to a police station. No one of the embassy staff were injured.
“The police are investigating the suspect’s identity and motive for the attack.”
A Metropolitan Police statement said: “As part of the protective security arrangements for London, armed and unarmed officers were deployed to this incident.
“Police firearms and Taser were discharged, the vehicle was stopped and a man, aged in his 40s, was arrested.
“He has been taken to a central London hospital as a precaution. He was not injured,” the statement added.
Chief Superintendent Andy Walker, from the Met’s Specialist Firearms Command, said: “As is standard procedure, an investigation is now ongoing into the discharge of a police firearm during this incident. While this takes place, I would like to pay tribute to the officers involved this morning who responded swiftly to this incident and put themselves in harm’s way, as they do every day, to keep the people of London safe.”
The incident is not being treated as terrorist-related.


Two French confirmed dead in Beirut blast, France steps up probe

Updated 2 min 27 sec ago

Two French confirmed dead in Beirut blast, France steps up probe

  • The death of one French victim — prominent Lebanon-based architect Jean-Marc Bonfils — had already been confirmed but the second victim has yet to be publicly identified
  • Investigators and police from France have already been at the scene in Beirut for several days to reconstruct the chain of events that led to the explosion

PARIS: France has stepped up its probe into the massive Beirut port blast last week by handing it to investigating magistrates, prosecution sources said Friday, as it was confirmed two French citizens were among the 171 people killed.
The investigation has now been entrusted to two magistrates who can ultimately decide whether to press charges over the August 4 blast, a source in the office of the Paris prosecutor told AFP.
Another source, who asked not to be named, said two French citizens were now confirmed to have been killed in the explosion.
The death of one French victim — prominent Lebanon-based architect Jean-Marc Bonfils — had already been confirmed but the second victim has yet to be publicly identified.
French prosecutors on August 5 opened a probe into “involuntary injury” using their jurisdiction to investigate acts committed abroad when French people are among the victims.
Investigators and police from France have already been at the scene in Beirut for several days to reconstruct the chain of events that led to the explosion.
The FBI will also join Lebanese investigators at the invitation of the Lebanese government, the US State Department said Thursday.
The explosion has been blamed on a vast stock of ammonium nitrate left for years in a warehouse at the port despite repeated warnings.
Lebanon’s government under Prime Minister Hassan Diab resigned this week following days of demonstrations demanding accountability over the disaster.
Lebanese authorities have pledged a swift investigation and judicial officials said Wednesday the prosecution would question ministers and former ministers.
President Michel Aoun has rejected calls from world leaders, including French President Emmanuel Macron, and many Lebanese for an independent international investigation as a “waste of time.”