Lawyers for former Nissan chief Ghosn apply for bail

Journalists look on as a recorded Carlos Ghosn video message plays during a press conference on April 9, 2019, before his most recent re-arrest. (AFP)
Updated 22 April 2019
0

Lawyers for former Nissan chief Ghosn apply for bail

  • NHK and Jiji Press reported that prosecutors have filed the new charge
  • This paves the way for Carlos Ghosn’s legal team to appeal for bail

TOKYO: Lawyers for former Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn on Monday applied for bail after authorities hit the auto tycoon with a charge of aggravated breach of trust — his fourth formal indictment.
“The lawyers requested bail on April 22,” the Tokyo District Court said in a statement.

The charge has ensured Ghosn would remain in custody after authorities arrested him earlier this month for a fourth time on suspicion he enriched himself by a total of $5 million at Nissan’s expense.

Ghosn, who had been released on $9 million bail last month after spending 108 days in jail, has denied all allegations against him. His defense team has launched a public battle against the prosecutors, calling the latest arrest “illegal” in documents seen by Reuters.

Earlier in the day, Nissan said it had filed a criminal complaint after determining payments made by the automaker to an overseas vehicle sales company through a subsidiary had been directed by Ghosn for his personal enrichment.

A spokesman for the company said it believed it had been harmed by Ghosn’s misconduct.

“Such misconduct is completely unacceptable, and Nissan is requesting appropriately strict penalties,” the automaker said in a statement.

Prosecutors had to indict or release Ghosn by Monday under the terms of his detention.

Ghosn already faces three other charges, related to allegedly understating his income and for allegedly transferring personal investment losses to Nissan.

He has denied all the allegations against him.


Indonesia looks for investment opportunities in Yemen

Updated 20 September 2019

Indonesia looks for investment opportunities in Yemen

  • Indonesia’s ambassador to Yemen expressed Indonesia’s interest in various fields
  • There are currently more than 2,500 students from Indonesia studying in Hadramout

DUBAI: Indonesia’s ambassador to Yemen discussed investment opportunities in the country with Yemeni officials in Hadhramout on Thursday, Saba News reported.

Hadhramout Local Authority and Leaders of Industrial and Commercial Chamber of Hadramout met with Ambassador Mustafa Tawfiq to discuss ways to strengthen trade exchange between the two countries.

The ambassador expressed Indonesia’s interest in various fields including scholarship programs and training for small business.

“In light of the current situation in Hadhramaut and the security and stability achieved, commercial and industrial relations between Hadhramaut and Indonesia are witnessing a remarkable and significant development in this aspect,” Tawfiq said, calling for increased visits between businessmen in Hadramaut with their Indonesian counterparts to expand the economic partnership between the two sides.

Meanwhile, Assistant Deputy Governor of Hadhramout for the Valley and Desert Districts Affairs, Abdulhadi Al-Tamimi welcomed Indonesia’s interest in investment opportunities, praising the historical relations between Yemen and Indonesia.

There are currently more than 2,500 students from Indonesia studying in Hadhramout, Al-Tamimi said.

The Indonesian envoy welcomed local businessmen to visit Indonesia next month where Jakarta will hold the 43rd Trade Expo where more than 1,100 companies will be participating.

However, the Yemeni official raised the issues of obtaining visas to Indonesia after the embassy’s move to Amman, Jordan from Sanaa after the Houthi militia took over the Yemeni capital.