Saudi air defense forces intercept 2 Houthi drones

Iran has been accused of supplying drones like the one displayed here after it was seized by coalition forces in Yemen. (File/Conflict Armament Research)
Updated 11 June 2019

Saudi air defense forces intercept 2 Houthi drones

  • The drones were targeted at Saudi Arabia’s southern city of Khamis Mushayt
  • Coalition forces raid Houthi positions in northwestern Yemen

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s air defense forces shot down two weaponized drones launched by Houthis from Yemen toward the city of Khamis Mushayt, a spokesman for the Arab Coalition supporting Yemen’s legitimate government said early Tuesday.

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the attack was part of the continuing attempt by “Houthi terrorists” to target civilian installations in Saudi Arabia.

The statement gave no further details.

Houthi-run Masirah TV reported earlier on Monday that the Iran-aligned Houthi movement had carried out attacks on an airbase near Khamis Mushayt.

Coalition forces raid Houthi positions
In Yemen, coalition fighters intensified overnight air strikes on Houthi positions in the districts of Abes and Haradh in the northwestern province of Hajjah. 

According to the Yemeni Ministry of Defense website, September Net, the air raids targeted the Houthi concentrations west of Haradh city and destroyed the vehicles of the militia. 

The fighters also targeted a vehicle carrying a number of Houthi fighters in the governorate of Abs. 

The coalition led by Saudi Arabia threw its support behind the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi in early 2015 amid attacks by the Iran-backed Houthis.


Saudi’s King Salman, Crown Prince send letters to COVID-positive Algerian president

Updated 30 October 2020

Saudi’s King Salman, Crown Prince send letters to COVID-positive Algerian president

  • The two royals sent the messages to Abdelmadjid Tebboune after he was hospitalized in Germany
  • Tebboune is said to be in a stable condition after undergoing medical tests

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman sent letters to the Algerian president after he tested positive with the coronavirus, state news agency SPA reported.
The two royals sent the messages to Abdelmadjid Tebboune after he was hospitalized in Germany, wishing him a speedy recovery.
Tebboune is said to be in a stable condition after undergoing medical tests, officials said Thursday, days after suspected coronavirus cases were reported among his aides.
The 74-year-old president, was transferred Wednesday to Germany from an Algerian hospital.
Representatives from his office said: “The medical team says that the results of the tests are reassuring.”
The president “has begun to receive the adequate treatment,” it said, without giving further details.
Tebboune’s transfer to Germany came after officials on Saturday said he had “voluntarily” gone into self-isolation for five days amid reports several officials in the presidency and government had contracted the Covid-19 disease.
On Tuesday, Tebboune, a heavy smoker, was admitted into a “specialized care unit” in a military hospital in Algeria’s capital.
His hospitalization comes ahead of a referendum to be held Sunday on constitutional reforms that the government hope will satisfy a protest movement. The vote is a flagship initiative of Tebboune.
Algeria has seen a resurgence in novel coronavirus cases in recent weeks.
More than 57,300 infections have been recorded in the country of 44 million, including 1,949 deaths.
(with agencies)