Star duo Murray and Serena ease to victory on Wimbledon bow

Britain's Andy Murray celebrates winning his first round mixed doubles match with Serena Williams of the US against Chile's Alexa Guarachi and Germany's Andreas Mies at the Wimbledon in London. (REUTERS/Tony O'Brien)
Updated 06 July 2019

Star duo Murray and Serena ease to victory on Wimbledon bow

  • Murray said physically he felt fine after two matches in one day, save for a stiff back.
  • Williams, a seven-time Wimbledon singles champion, said there was no boss in the team

WIMBLEDON, England: Superstar duo Andy Murray and Serena Williams breezed into the second round of the mixed doubles at Wimbledon on Saturday, beating Germany’s Andreas Mies and Chile’s Alexa Guarachi 6-4, 6-1.
Murray and Williams — both former world number ones and singles champions at Wimbledon — had little trouble in dispensing with their opponents.
“Obviously I had lost in the doubles earlier (with Pierre-Hugues Herbert) so all my energy is focussed on the mixed but it was a good start,” said Murray.
Murray said physically he felt fine after two matches in one day, save for a stiff back.
The hip he had ‘life-changing surgery’ on earlier this year had not given him any trouble.
“I feel good and am happy to be alive in this,” said Serena.
There was an element of farce when they let slip a set point in the opener as Williams ended up tumbling over and landing unceremoniously on her backside at the net.
However, they closed out the set and took control of the next by breaking their opponents immediately.
Williams, a seven-time Wimbledon singles champion, said there was no boss in the team.
“I said to Serena before the match we are the younger siblings so we are used to being bossed by our older brother and sister,” chipped in two-time Wimbledon winner Murray.
While mixed doubles is foreign territory largely for Murray, Williams is the youngest ever female winner, partnering Max Mirnyi to victory in 1998 aged just 16 at Wimbledon.
 


Real Madrid and Barcelona part of La Liga quartet to play in Saudi Arabia in 2020

Updated 40 min 13 sec ago

Real Madrid and Barcelona part of La Liga quartet to play in Saudi Arabia in 2020

  • The Kingdom has previously hosted the Italian Super Cup final
  • Tournament was part of the Kingdom’s ongoing efforts to host major global sporting events

RIYADH: La Liga giants Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Valencia will play in a four-way tournament to be held in Saudi Arabia next year.

A tweet on Monday from Prince Abdul Aziz bin Turki Al-Faisal, chairman of the Saudi General Sports Authority, confirmed the participation of the teams in a “Super Spanish” tournament, slated to take place between Jan. 8-12.

The prince said the tournament was part of Saudi Arabia’s ongoing efforts to host major global sporting events.

The Kingdom previously hosted the Italian Super Cup final in 2018 and will do so again in December this year. 

Saudi Arabia also hosted the "Super Clasico" clash between Brazil and Argentina in 2018, with Miranda scoring a late winning goal at the King Abdullah Sports City stadium in Jeddah.