Want to stay relevant? Fight me, Pacquiao tells Mayweather

Manny Pacquiao beat Keith Thurman on a split decision at the weekend. (File/AFP)
Updated 24 July 2019

Want to stay relevant? Fight me, Pacquiao tells Mayweather

  • Mayweather had earlier claimed that Pacquiao’s “entire legacy and career has been built off its association with my name”
  • Mayweather is one of just seven pro fighters to have beaten Pacquiao

MANILA: Manny Pacquiao challenged Floyd Mayweather to face him again in the ring on Wednesday as the retired American star taunted the Filipino great about fighting on into his forties.
Pacquiao, 40, who beat Keith Thurman on a split decision at the weekend, bit back at Mayweather on social media after the American accused him of trading on his name.
“You come to my fight and then use my name in a post but I’m the one that is trying to stay relevant? if you want to be relevant again... #MayPac2,” Pacquiao tweeted.
Mayweather, who retired at 40 in 2017 with the unprecedented win-loss record of 50-0, had earlier claimed that Pacquiao’s “entire legacy and career has been built off its association with my name.”
“It’s about time you all stop using my brand for clout chasing and clickbait and let that man’s name hold weight of its own,” he posted on Instagram.
“When we finally fought, I won so easily that everyone had to eat their words!” added Mayweather, alongside a picture of his 2015 defeat of Pacquiao.
But Mayweather, who was ringside in Las Vegas as Pacquiao became the oldest welterweight world champion in boxing history, stayed silent about a rematch as he answered the Filipino in a later post.
“Bottom line, I make more money than you... I beat you mentally, physically and financially!” he wrote.
“Remember, you fight cause you have to, I fight when I want to!“
Mayweather is one of just seven pro fighters to have beaten Pacquiao, the only boxer to have won world titles in eight weight divisions.


‘Mission: Impossible VII’ halts Italy filming over coronavirus

Updated 25 February 2020

‘Mission: Impossible VII’ halts Italy filming over coronavirus

  • Seventh installment of ‘Mission: Impossible’ franchise was scheduled to shoot in Venice for three weeks
  • taly reported its seventh death from the new coronavirus on Monday

WASHINGTON: Production on the latest film in the “Mission: Impossible” series starring Tom Cruise has been stopped in Italy following the outbreak of coronavirus cases, US media reported Monday.
According to entertainment specialist The Wrap, the seventh installment of the Paramount Pictures franchise was scheduled to shoot in Venice for three weeks.
“Out of an abundance of caution for the safety and well-being of our cast and crew, and efforts of the local Venetian government to halt public gatherings in response to the threat of coronavirus, we are altering the production plan for our three-week shoot in Venice,” a Paramount spokesperson said in a statement to The Wrap.
The spokesperson added that Cruise had not traveled to Italy, and that crew members were allowed to return home until production started.
Italy reported its seventh death from the new coronavirus Monday, but officials called for calm and reported a lower rise in the number of infections after a spike over the weekend.
The number of cases now stood at 229, the head of Italy’s civil protection department Angelo Borelli said at a press conference on Monday evening, the highest number in Europe.
In addition to “MI7,” the spread of the virus has disrupted high-profile events including Milan Fashion Week and the Venice Carnival. On Monday evening, sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora announced that six Serie A football matches would be played behind closed doors.
“Mission: Impossible VII” is due in theaters on July 23, 2021.