Prosecutors add fraud charges to former Barclays executives accused in Qatar case

Former Barclays banker Roger Jenkins faces four charges over deals with Qatari investors during the global financial crisis. (Getty Images)
Updated 14 August 2019

Prosecutors add fraud charges to former Barclays executives accused in Qatar case

  • the UK’s Serious Fraud Office has included charges of actual fraud to the existing counts of conspiracy to defraud against the men

LONDON:  Three former top Barclays executives due to stand trial over the bank’s deals with Qatari investors during the financial crisis are to face additional fraud charges.

Bloomberg reported that the UK’s Serious Fraud Office has included charges of actual fraud to the existing counts of conspiracy to defraud against the men, according to a copy of the indictment released Thursday.

Roger Jenkins, the former Middle East chief, faces four charges. Tom Kalaris, who led the bank’s wealth division, and Richard Boath, the former head of Europe, will face two charges. 

The men, who will go on trial in October, all deny the charges.

The charges stem from the 2008 financial crisis when Barclays was looking for cash injections to avoid being nationalized.

The bank turned to Qatar for £4 billion of investments, but the  Serious Fraud Office alleges that Barclays did not properly disclose to the market £322 million worth of side deals with Qatari investors.

These included Qatar’s then prime minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jabr Al-Thani.

The man face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.


Former Wirecard COO Marsalek’s entry into Philippines forged, justice minister says

Updated 04 July 2020

Former Wirecard COO Marsalek’s entry into Philippines forged, justice minister says

  • Immigration officers who inputted the fictitious entries have been relieved of their duties and face administrative sanctions

MANILA: Immigration records showing Wirecard’s former chief operating officer Jan Marsalek arrived in the Philippines on June 23 and departed for China the next day were falsified, Philippines Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said on Saturday.
Guevarra said the immigration officers who inputted the fictitious entries have been relieved of their duties and face administrative sanctions.
“The investigation has now turned to persons who made the false entries in the database, their motives and their cohorts,” Guevarra told reporters.
Marsalek, 40, was fired as COO of the German firm on June 18 after auditor EY refused to sign off on Wirecard’s accounts. The company, once one of the hottest fintech companies in Europe, collapsed a week later owing creditors almost $4 billion after disclosing a $2.1 billion hole in its accounts that auditor EY said was the result of a sophisticated global fraud.
The missing money was purportedly held in escrow accounts at two Philippine banks, which have denied any links with the Wirecard.
Guevarra said it was possible Marsalek could be in the country, telling Reuters, “Notwithstanding the Bureau of Immigration report, I do not totally discount the possibility that Marsalek may be in the Philippines.”
“We are an island country, and there are backdoors through which undocumented foreigners may slip through,” he said.
Munich prosecutors obtained arrest warrants against ex-CEO Markus Braun and Marsalek on June 22. Braun turned himself in that day, but Marsalek has disappeared and his mobile number is no longer in service.
Both are suspected of market manipulation, false accounting and fraud, while the circle of suspects has widened to the entire management board of Wirecard.
Marsalek’s lawyer has declined all requests for comment.
Marsalek had oversight of Wirecard’s Asian operations, which are at the center of suspicion by auditors and prosecutors of attempts to falsely inflate cash balances, turnover and profit.
Guevarra said earlier immigration records had shown that Marsalek had been in the Philippines from March 3 to 5.