Saudi Crown Prince gives two interviews to US media

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in an interview with contributor Norah O'Donnell – (Photo Courtesy - CBS NEWS)
Updated 27 September 2019

Saudi Crown Prince gives two interviews to US media

  • According to a preview of the profile, the program’s highlight is the crown prince’s statement on Jamal Khashoggi's murder
  • PBS also speaks to Saudi ministers, journalists and officials

RIYADH: Two highly anticipated appearances of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s on two major American TV channels have created much anticipation since their announcement.

Saudis will tune in to the crown prince’s interview with Norah O’Donnell on CBS’ “60 Minutes” on Sunday, Sept. 29. This will be the crown prince’s second interview with the anchor of the “CBS Evening News.” During her first interview, in March 2018, the crown prince made significant statements about his vision for a new Saudi Arabia and about how the events of 1979 changed the region for the worse.

That interview was a point of discussion for many months.

There is also an in-depth PBS Frontline profile of the crown prince by veteran journalist Martin Smith which will be aired on Oct. 1.

According to a preview of the profile, the program’s highlight is the crown prince’s statement that the murder of Saudi journalist-turned-critic Jamal Khashoggi happened “under my watch,” but without his knowledge.

According to what has been reported so far about the interview, the crown prince’s answer to Smith’s question of his alleged prior knowledge was: “We have 20 million people. We have 3 million government employees.”

To another pointed question from Smith on how the killers could have taken private government jets, the crown prince’s response was: “I have officials, ministers to follow things, and they’re responsible. They have the authority to do that.”

PBS also speaks to Saudi ministers, journalists and officials.


Saudi Arabia health care summit to accelerate global COVID-19 fight

Updated 03 August 2020

Saudi Arabia health care summit to accelerate global COVID-19 fight

  • Representatives from the World Health Organization, UK National Health Service, IBM and many other industry leaders to speak at online event.
  • The ‘Riyadh Declaration’ will provide a roadmap for using digital innovations to fight this pandemic and those of the future.

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia will this month host one of the world’s largest health care summits that aims to unite global efforts against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The event will bring together health care leaders and innovators from across the world to foster new collaborations and discuss the vital role of digital health in fighting pandemics.

Taking place online on Aug. 11-12, the Riyadh Global Digital Health Summit (RGDHS) will host directors from the World Health Organization and the UK’s National Health Service, IBM’s chief health officer, and Australia’s deputy chief medical officer.

The event’s flagship talk will be hosted by the Kingdom’s Minister of Health Dr. Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and will introduce the “Riyadh Declaration” — a roadmap for accelerating digital health innovations to fight the current and future pandemics.

Dr. Bandar Al-Knawy, president of the RGDHS, said the event was far more than a health care conference.

“It is a global digital platform bringing together people who have the ability to work collaboratively to accelerate our response to the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said.

“Health care professionals must now seize this opportunity to build on previous strides forward in digital health.”