Dubai’s second Bao Festival cancelled

Steve Aoki was set to headline the festival. (AFP)
Updated 07 October 2019

Dubai’s second Bao Festival cancelled

DUBAI: The second annual Bao Festival in Dubai has been cancelled just days before it was supposed to get started.

The electronic dance music (EDM) festival was set to kick off in at Dubai’s Meydan Grandstand on Oct. 4 with a headline performance by US DJ Steve Aoki.

Organizers took to social media to blame the last-minute cancellation on “unforeseen circumstances” and said that those who purchased tickets from Dubai.platinumlist.net will be refunded within 15 days.

Last year’s inaugural festival boasted a starry line-up of international DJs, including Martin Garrix, Dimirti Vegas & Like Mike, Afro Jack and Don Diablo.

This year’s performers paled in comparison, however, with superstar DJ Steve Aoki set to be joined by the lower profile likes of DJ L and DJ Mariana Bo.


Paris Couture Week to go digital in July

Updated 30 May 2020

Paris Couture Week to go digital in July

DUBAI: For the first time ever, the Federation de la Haute Couture et de la Mode said it would stage an online version of Paris Couture Week from July 6 to 8. 

“Each house will be represented in the form of a creative film or video,” the federation stated, adding “Additional content will be included in an editorialized section of the platform. All of this will be widely shared on the main international media networks.” 

It has not yet been confirmed which designers will take part in the new digital concept, but the week typically features design talent from the region, including Lebanese fashion houses Elie Saab, Zuhair Murad and Maison Rabih Kayrouz, among others.

Meanwhile, a few of the fashion houses that have been granted the official haute couture designation have opted out from showing this season.

 Jean Paul Gaultier, who handed over the reins of his couture business to Sacai’s Chitose Abe as the first in a series of rotating guest designers, announced the couture show would be postponed until January. Italian designer Giorgio Armani did the same for his Armani Privé collection, while Balenciaga, which was set to debut its first couture collection in over 50 years, has also postponed.