Saudi Arabia prepared to cater to global oil demand

King Salman chairs the weekly Cabinet session at Al-Yamamah Palace in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Updated 09 October 2019

Saudi Arabia prepared to cater to global oil demand

  • GCC’s armed forces ready to confront any terrorist threat

RIYADH: King Salman chaired the Cabinet session held at Al-Yamamah Palace in Riyadh on Tuesday, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported. The Cabinet addressed the Kingdom’s assertion during its participation in Russian Energy Week — that it was ready to meet world oil demand following efforts to restore supply capabilities within 72 hours of last month’s oil field attacks.
These efforts strengthened the Kingdom’s position as the most reliable, safe and independent oil exporter.
The king briefed the Cabinet on the results of official talks held with President of the Sudanese Supreme Council Gen. Abdulfattah Al-Burhan and Sudanese Prime Minister Dr. Abdullah Hamdouk.
Media Minister Turki Al-Shabanah, in a statement to SPA, said the Cabinet reviewed reports on the latest regional and international developments.
He highlighted the final statement of the 4th extraordinary meeting of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Supreme Military Committee, held in Riyadh, to consult on current threats and situations and to achieve greater GCC military coordination.

HIGHLIGHTS

• The Cabinet approved amendments to commercial mortgage system.

• First phase of transport networks in some cities and provinces also approved.

• Reports on latest regional and international developments reviewed.

He stressed the readiness of the GCC’s armed forces to confront any terrorist threat or attack. He condemned assaults on the Kingdom and the violation of GCC member airspace.
He also condemned attacks on oil tankers and threats to maritime navigation.
The Cabinet drew attention to the Saudi Authority for Intellectual Property’s nomination to lead the International Union for the Protection of Industrial Property (Paris Union), and its nomination to be vice president of the International Patent Cooperation Union. The minister said this recognition showed the global standards achieved by the Kingdom in different sectors.
The Cabinet authorized ministries to sign agreements with friendly countries in different sectors.
It approved amendments to the commercial mortgage system, and a first phase of transport networks in some cities and provinces.


Arab coalition cleared of rights violations in Yemen

Updated 11 min 30 sec ago

Arab coalition cleared of rights violations in Yemen

  • JIAT reiterates its commitment of transparency while presenting its findings

RIYADH: The Joint Incidents Assessment Team (JIAT) of the Arab coalition for Yemen has investigated four cases that were reported in the media. It found that the rules of engagement had been followed by the coalition for Yemen in each case.
The JIAT reiterated its commitment of transparency while presenting its findings in the submitted cases, and it revealed details in a professional and fact-based way.
Addressing a press conference in Riyadh on Wednesday, JIAT spokesman Mansour Al-Mansour said: “In one case, it was claimed that a military vehicle of the Houthi militia was targeted in front of a restaurant in Zabid, Hodeidah governorate, on Jan. 3, 2018.”
He said the JIAT investigated the incident and reviewed all documents, including procedures and rules of engagement, daily mission schedule, after-mission report, satellite images, provisions and the principles of International humanitarian law and its customary rules, as well as an assessment of evidence. It found that on the alleged date, the coalition forces did not carry out any aerial missions in Zabid, and that the nearest military target that was hit by the coalition on the date of the claim was in Al-Khokhah directorate, about 41 km away from Zabid.
Referring to another case, he said it was claimed that coalition forces had targeted the Mothalath Ahim market in Hajjah governorate on July 4, 2015.

FOURCASES

• In one case, it was claimed that a military vehicle of the Houthi militia was targeted in front of a restaurant in Zabid, Hodeidah governorate, on Jan. 3, 2018.

• In second case, it was claimed that coalition forces had targeted the Mothalath Ahim market in Hajjah governorate on July 4, 2015.

• In third case, it was claimed that the coalition forces had targeted a house in Talan, Kushar, directorate of Hajjah governorate on March 10, 2019.

• In fourth case, it was claimed that a house was targeted in Midi directorate of (Hajjah) governorate on April 22, 2018.

The JIAT investigated the incident and found that Mothalath Ahim, which is 16 km from the international borders of Saudi Arabia, was at the time of the military operation under the control of the Houthi armed militia and the former president’s forces.
Intelligence reports confirmed the discovery of a ballistic missile inside a hangar in a semi-isolated location. There were gatherings of Houthi armed militia and the former president’s forces, and military vehicles at Mothalath Ahim, which was considered a legitimate military target, based on Article 52, Paragraph 2 of the First Additional Protocol to the Geneva Conventions. Moreover, the coalition forces took all feasible precautions by studying and defining the target’s environment, using a guided bomb that was commensurate with the target, and minimizing collateral damage while achieving the desired military advantage of the military based on Rule No. 17 of the customary international humanitarian law.
In another case it was claimed that the coalition forces had targeted a house in Talan, Kushar, directorate of Hajjah governorate on March 10, 2019.
Al-Mansour said the coalition forces units had detected through reconnaissance a vehicle carrying Houthi armed militia fighters. It was confirmed by ground elements that the fighters got out of that vehicle and entered a building in Jabal Talan, which was considered to be a legitimate military target.
In fourth case, it was claimed that a house was targeted in Midi directorate of (Hajjah) governorate on April 22, 2018.
The JIAT investigated the incident and found that the coalition forces observed gatherings of Houthi militias and a ballistic missile launcher in the area of operations concealed in an isolated area. The coalition forces therefore carried out an air mission against these two targets. The JIAT found that coalition forces had not targeted a civilian house in Midi directorate as alleged.