US arrests counterterrorism analyst over leaks to journalists

The US Justice Department alleged in an indictment unsealed in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. (File photo: AFP)
Updated 09 October 2019

US arrests counterterrorism analyst over leaks to journalists

  • Henry Kyle Frese had passed to a journalist, with whom he was apparently romantically involved, appeared in at least eight different news stories

WASHINGTON: A counterterrorism analyst with the US Defense Intelligence Agency was arrested on Wednesday over charges he had leaked classified materials about a foreign country’s weapons system to two journalists in 2018 and 2019, the US Justice Department said in federal court filings on Wednesday.
Information that 30-year-old Henry Kyle Frese had passed to a journalist, with whom he was apparently romantically involved, appeared in at least eight different news stories, the Justice Department alleged in an indictment unsealed in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
The Justice Department did not identify the journalists or their news outlets, but said they each worked for a different outlet owned by the same parent company.
This marks the sixth federal case involving leaks of classified information in a little over two years. A crackdown on leakers was initiated by the Trump administration in 2017 and led by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
The first case to emerge during the Trump administration involved Reality Winner, a former intelligence analyst who divulged a report about Russian interference in the 2016 election to the Intercept news website.
Another similar case earlier this year involved former intelligence analyst named Daniel Everette Hale, who was also charged in connection with leaking information to the Intercept related to a US drone strike program.
Until the criminal case against Winner, no one had been charged with leaking classified information since 2013, said John Demers, the head of the Justice Department’s National Security Division, in a press call on Wednesday to announce the charges against Frese.


Sudan summons Ethiopian envoy over suspected cross-border attack

Updated 30 May 2020

Sudan summons Ethiopian envoy over suspected cross-border attack

  • Thursday’s attack targeted a camp in the eastern city of Al-Qadarif

KHARTOUM: Sudan summoned the Ethiopian Chargé d’Affaires on Saturday over a border attack by suspected Ethiopian militias that killed and wounded several Sudanese army personnel and civilians, it said in a statement.
Thursday’s attack targeted a camp in the eastern city of Al-Qadarif, the official SUNA news agency said.
A Sudanese military spokesman blamed militias “supported by Ethiopia” for the attack, according to SUNA.
There was no immediate comment from Addis Adaba.
Some Ethiopian groups have used farmland in the Sudanese al Fashqa border region for decades. The former Sudanese government of deposed veteran leader Omar Al-Bashir turned a blind eye, but the current transitional authorities in Khartoum are trying to expel the groups.
Sudan’s foreign ministry statement said the attack killed and wounded “a number of officers and personnel of the armed forces and Sudanese citizens, including children.” No other details were given.
The attack happened while Khartoum was preparing for a meeting of a high-level joint committee on border issues, the statement said.