Bosnia will take back and try nine captured Daesh fighters

A Daesh fighter of Bosnian origin surrenders to Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in Syria’s northern Deir Ezzor province. (AFP)
Updated 09 October 2019

Bosnia will take back and try nine captured Daesh fighters

  • The Sarajevo-based investigative portal www.zurnal.ba reported the nine men, all captured and kept in detention camps in Syria and Iraq, should be returned by the end of the week
  • According to a 2014 criminal code, all Bosnians who leave the country to fight in foreign wars must be prosecuted under terrorism charges

SARAJEVO: Bosnia is preparing to take back and try nine of its nationals suspected of fighting for Daesh in Syria, its security minister said on Wednesday.
Hundreds of people are believed to have left Europe to fight for Daesh in Syria and Iraq, and many await in detention camps to be handed over to their countries of origin.
“We are working to bring back nine persons for whom Bosnia and Herzegovina had issued arrest warrants,” Minister Dragan Mektic told Reuters.
Mektic declined to say when the suspects would be returned to Bosnia, but added they would be handed over to the judiciary immediately upon arrival.
The Sarajevo-based investigative portal www.zurnal.ba reported the nine men, all captured and kept in detention camps in Syria and Iraq, should be returned by the end of the week.
According to a 2014 criminal code, all Bosnians who leave the country to fight in foreign wars must be prosecuted under terrorism charges.
According to Bosnian intelligence, 241 adults and 80 children left Bosnia or the Bosnian diaspora in 2012-2016 for Syria and Iraq, where 150 more children were born. About 100 adults, including 49 women, remain there, while at least 88 have been killed or died.
Daesh’s last territorial foothold, in Syria, fell in March this year.
Bosnia’s state court has tried and convicted 46 people who have returned from Syria or Iraq in the past few years.
Several women with children have pleaded with the Bosnian authorities to be allowed to return home but there is still no clear policy in place on how to deal with them because their children do not hold Bosnian citizenship.


Serial airport stowaway remains jailed after latest arrest

Updated 14 October 2019

Serial airport stowaway remains jailed after latest arrest

  • Marilyn Hartman was arrested Friday night and later charged with felony criminal trespass

CHICAGO: A 67-year-old woman with a history of sneaking onto flights without a ticket will remain jailed after the latest incident in which police say she tried to get past security at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago.
Marilyn Hartman was arrested Friday night and later charged with felony criminal trespass. A judge on Sunday granted her bail but ordered that she stay in custody until a related probation hearing.
Hartman’s arrest marks the latest chapter in a story that’s played out for a decade at airports across the US, including last year when she was arrested after sneaking on a flight from O’Hare to London.
She ultimately pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and was sentenced in March to 18 months’ probation after agreeing to stay away from Chicago’s two commercial airports.