Indonesian security minister attacked by Daesh radical with knife

Wiranto has served as chief security minister in President Joko Widodo’s cabinet since 2016. (Reuters)
Updated 10 October 2019

Indonesian security minister attacked by Daesh radical with knife

  • Television footage showed the minister getting out of a car in Pandeglang, in Banten province before he was attacked

JAKARTA: A man wielding a knife attacked Indonesian Chief Security Minister Wiranto on Thursday, during a visit to a town on the island of Java, images from police and television showed.
The attacker was allegedly “exposed to ISIS radicalism”, police said, adding that a local police chief was also injured.
Television footage showed the minister getting out of a car in Pandeglang, in Banten province, before he was attacked and slumped to the ground.
A police photograph showed the minister, a former general, being carried on a stretcher into a nearby hospital.
National police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo confirmed the incident and told media the perpetrator had been arrested and an officer had been hurt.
Officers wrestled the suspect to the ground and an image supplied by police showed the suspect, who was wearing a black shirt and light trousers with his arms and legs secured.
Wiranto, 72, has served as chief security minister in President Joko Widodo’s cabinet since 2016.
His appointment drew criticism from rights groups for his involvement as chief of the armed forces in the bloody upheaval in East Timor.
Wiranto was indicted by a UN panel over the bloodshed surrounding East Timor’s 1999 independence vote, when about 1,000 people were killed. Wiranto denied any wrongdoing in East Timor.


China reports 36 new COVID-19 cases

Updated 01 April 2020

China reports 36 new COVID-19 cases

  • Chinese health commission said all but one of the new cases was imported from abroad
  • China has recorded a total of 81,554 cases of COVID-19 and 3,312 deaths from the disease

BEIJING: China’s National Health Commission on Wednesday reported 36 new COVID-19 cases, one day after announcing that asymptomatic cases will now be included in the official count.
The commission said all but one of the new cases was imported from abroad, while seven more deaths from the disease had been reported over the previous 24 hours. The commission did not say if any of the new cases were asymptomatic but on Tuesday reported that, of a total of 1,541 asymptomatic cases now being isolated and monitored for symptoms, 205 had come from overseas.
The move to disclose the number of asymptomatic cases comes amid scrutiny of China’s reported figures, which previously only included people who exhibited symptoms. While the proportion of people who have contracted the virus but remain asymptomatic is currently unknown, scientists say these “carriers” can still pass COVID-19 onto others who do end up getting sick.
As China’s domestic outbreak has largely abated, some questioned whether the country’s failure to count asymptomatic cases would lead to a resurgence of infections. China, where the virus was first detected in December, has recorded a total of 81,554 cases of COVID-19 and 3,312 deaths from the disease.