WWE Riyadh Crown Jewel to feature first women’s match in Saudi Arabia

The match will be part of the Jewel Crown event at Riyadh Season. (Screen grab)
Updated 01 November 2019

WWE Riyadh Crown Jewel to feature first women’s match in Saudi Arabia

  • The match between Natalya and Lacey Evans will be the first ever women’s wrestling match in Saudi Arabia
  • Braun Strowman, Tyson Fury, Cain Velasquez, and Brock Lesnar will also compete at the Crown Jewel

RIYADH: WWE announced on Wednesday, the first ever women’s match in Saudi Arabia will take place on Thursday, during the Crown Jewel press conference.
The conference was held at King Fahd International Stadium in Riyadh, and the event is part of Riyadh Season, which includes over 100 events happening in two months.
WWE Superstars Natalya and Lacey Evans will be the starts of the women’s match.
Crown Jewel, one of WWE’s premier pay-per-view events, will also feature Roman Reigns and matches between other boxing champions.
WWE Champion Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez will battle for the WWE title, while Braun Strowman and Tyson Fury will have a match too.

Photo Gallery of WWE Superstars Natalya and Lacey Evans match
Seth Rollins and Bray Wyatt will compete for the Universal Championship.
Mansoor, a Saudi wrestler who won in the WWE’s largest Battle Royale in history, also spoke during the press conference.
“I will make you proud and will not disappoint you,” he said to the Saudi crowds.
International boxing champions Fury and Strowman commented on their match, as well as Velasquez and Lesnar.
Boxing icons Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Roman Reigns and Randy Orton were also at the junket.

Watch the live press conference here:

 


UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

Updated 28 February 2020

UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

  • The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off
  • Riders, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups

ABU DHABI: Sports officials in the Emirates have canceled the final two stages of UAE Tour cycling event after two Italian competitors had coronavirus diagnosed. 

The Abu Dhabi Sports Council announced the cancelation late Thursday.

The council also said the decision had been made to ensure the safety of all the cyclists and teams, which it described as a priority.

The Health Ministry said that all participants, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups. 

 

 

It also said all precautionary measures related to quarantine were taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off on Thursday evening with riders, staff and members of the media not allowed to leave pending their check-ups.

Italian media reported on Twitter the arrival of medical units at the team hotel.

Multiple Tour de France winner Chris Froome tweeted his disappointment at the news, but wished all those affected a "speedy recovery."

 

 

The new coronavirus COVID-19 has infected more than 80,000 people worldwide - including dozens in the Middle East - and killed more than 2,800, mostly in China.