Suhail Abanmi, governor of Saudi Arabia’s General Authority of Zakat and Tax

Suhail Abanmi
Updated 04 December 2019

Suhail Abanmi, governor of Saudi Arabia’s General Authority of Zakat and Tax

  • Abanmi obtained his bachelor’s degree in computer science with honors from King Saud University in 2000
  • He began his career as a project manager for MeduNet from 2000 to 2004

Suhail Abanmi has been governor of the General Authority of Zakat and Tax since June 2017.

Abanmi obtained his bachelor’s degree in computer science with honors from King Saud University in 2000, and his master’s degree in computer engineering from the University of New South Wales in Australia in 2007, followed by a master’s of business in accounting and finance in 2014 from Alfaisal University.

He began his career as a project manager for MeduNet from 2000 to 2004 before becoming a service planning manager at Alinma Bank in 2007. In 2009, he joined the Saudi Stock Exchange (Tadawul) as head of business development and manager of the Tadawulaty program. He then headed the business excellence and corporate strategy and planning group with Al-Rajhi Bank.

Abanmi became an adviser to the Minister of Commerce and Investment in 2013 while acting as director-general of the Qawaem program for the ministry. Three years later, he became deputy minister for internal trade.

Between 2016 and 2017, Abanmi sat on the board of many organizations, including the Small and Medium Enterprises General Authority, Saudi Organization for Certified Public Accountants, the General Authority for Statistics and the Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority.

He was chairman of Bayan Credit Bureau and sat on the advisory committee for the Capital Market Authority until March 2019. He is currently a member of the board of Tadawul. On the fifth anniversary of King Salman’s ascension to the throne, Abanmi congratulated the king, and praised the progress and development taking place in the Kingdom.

“We have every right to take pride in what has been achieved on this path of renewal paved by King Salman, and we should recall the gigantic developments we are witnessing,” he said.


Saudi Arabia stops issuing visas to tourists from countries worst hit by coronavirus

Updated 46 min 20 sec ago

Saudi Arabia stops issuing visas to tourists from countries worst hit by coronavirus

  • Tourist visas will still be available electronically or upon arrival to citizens of other qualifying countries

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Tourism announced on Friday that it has temporarily stopped issuing tourist visas to people in certain countries particularly badly hit by the coronavirus outbreak.

The affected nations are China, Italy, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and Kazakhstan. The decision applies both to electronic visas obtained online and traditional visas issued upon arrival. In addition, tourist visas previously issued to residents of the listed countries will be temporarily suspended.

Tourist visas will still be available electronically or upon arrival to citizens of other qualifying countries, but as a precaution they will not be allowed to visit Makkah or Madinah.

People in countries that are not eligible for electronic visas can check whether they can travel to the Kingdom by calling a helpline on 0096 692 000 0890. Residents of the US, the UK and Schengen nations can call the same number to check whether they can obtain a tourist visa.

The Ministry of Tourism said that the restrictions were designed to protect citizens, residents and tourists, in line with recommendations from health authorities.

“These procedures are temporary and are subject to continuous evaluation by the competent authorities,” a spokesman for the ministry said.

The latest restrictions come a day after Saudi authorities announced temporary bans on Umrah pilgrims and visits to the Prophet’s Mosque. They also said that holders of tourist visas from the countries worst affected by the virus would be refused entry to the country.

Also on Thursday, the Saudi health ministry said there are still “no known cases” of the coronavirus in the Kingdom.