Arab News contributor listed among top sports columnists

RAZAN BAKER
Short Url
Updated 19 December 2019

Arab News contributor listed among top sports columnists

  • Razan Baker among the 30 sports columnists nominated for an award by the International Sports Press Association (AIPS)

JEDDAH:  Arab News sports columnist Razan Baker has been listed among the top 30 sports columnists in the world by the International Sports Press Association (AIPS) for its Sports Media Awards.

The list of the top submissions in the AIPS writing category was announced on Tuesday. The three finalists are set to be announced on Jan. 15.

“I am overwhelmed with happiness, this is is my first international recognition,” Baker told Arab News, adding: “It means a lot to me in my journey in sports media.”

Baker was nominated for her Arab News column titled “How sport can bring communities together and attract investment,” where she explained how sports could unite locals and expatriates and develop a sense of belonging in cities. 

Baker said: “It is always my pleasure to reflect on motivational and inspiring events or people in sports, and this is a great incentive for me to move on and do my best in this field.”

Baker is a member of the board of directors at the Saudi Bowling Federation. She is also a specialist in corporate social responsibility in sports.

She said that being close to people, and seeing how they grow and how sport impacts their lives, their lifestyles and their journeys is what she likes the most about what she does.

“It is always interested in reflecting on the changes the country is going through thanks to Vision 2030,” Baker said.

According the AIPS press release, the Sports Media Awards have received a huge number of articles this year.

“The several pieces received brought the eye of sports journalism to new places, giving voice to many more professionals than last year,” the AIPS said.


Egyptian news presenter Aya Shaheen tests positive for coronavirus

Updated 40 min 12 sec ago

Egyptian news presenter Aya Shaheen tests positive for coronavirus

  • Egypt has a total of 24,985 cases of coronavirus infections

DUBAI: Egyptian news presenter Aya Abdelrhman Shaheen revealed on Sunday that she tested positive for the coronavirus.
The eXtra News channel presenter posted on her Facebook page:  
“I have tested positive for the coronavirus. All I need in the upcoming period is your genuine prayers. I have great faith that I will overcome this virus thanks to your love and support. I will be back soon to tell you my experience with COVID-19.”

Egypt shortened a night curfew by one hour on Sunday as it recorded new highs in the daily increases in novel coronavirus cases and deaths.
The Health Ministry said 1,536 new cases had been confirmed including 46 deaths, bringing total cases to 24,985 and deaths to 959.
Earlier, the prime minister’s office said a night curfew would end at 5 a.m. instead of 6 a.m. The curfew begins at 8 p.m., though its start had been brought forward to 5 p.m. last week during the holiday that follows the Eid holiday at the end of Ramadan.
The curfew is one of a number of measures including the closure of schools, cafes and places of worship, that are aimed at curbing the pandemic.