Saudi Arabia condemns Iran violation of Iraqi sovereignty

Saudi Arabia on Thursday condemned Iran's violation of Iraqi sovereignty after Tehran launched 22 missiles at military bases housing US troops. (File/Shutterstock)
Short Url
Updated 09 January 2020

Saudi Arabia condemns Iran violation of Iraqi sovereignty

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia on Thursday condemned Iran's violation of Iraqi sovereignty after Tehran launched 22 missiles at military bases housing US troops.

The Kingdom also called for restraint and avoiding escalation to maintain the security and stability of Iraq and the region after the attack, which was in response to the US killing of Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani in a drone strike.

Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman said on Wednesday that the Kingdom and its leadership will always stand with Iraq and its people.

The prince said the Kingdom would "do everything in its power to spare Iraq from the danger of war and conflict between external parties, and for its people to live in prosperity after what they have endured in the past."


Houthis targeting civilians is ‘red line’: Coalition confirms operation against militia

Updated 27 min 26 sec ago

Houthis targeting civilians is ‘red line’: Coalition confirms operation against militia

  • Operation comes after continuous targeting of the Kingdom with drones and ballistic missiles
  • Iran-backed group launched ballistic missile toward Riyadh last week, which was intercepted

RIYADH: The Arab coalition confirmed that it has launched a military operation against the Houthi targets on Thursday and said that their targeting of civilians is a “red line.”
The operation comes as the Houthi militia continue to target the Kingdom with drones and ballistic missiles.
The militia launched a ballistic missile toward Riyadh last week which was intercepted. The missile was Iranian made, coalition spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki said at a press conference.
The coalition would take “harsh measures” against the Houthis if they targeted civilian areas and the Kingdom would not tolerate such attacks, Al-Maliki added.
“The terrorist leaders of the Houthi militia... will be pursued and held accountable. Targeting civilians and civilian facilities is a red line,” he said.
Al-Maliki said that the Yemeni army had complied with the cease-fire that the coalition announced in April for a period of 45 days. He said that the Houthis violated the cease-fire 4,276 times during that period.
Earlier this week, the coalition released details of two seizures of Iranian weapons that were headed into Houthi hands.
Referring to the seizures that took place in April and June, Al-Maliki said the Iranian regime is deliberately providing the Houthis with missiles to undermine regional security.
He added that the militia is using the Al-Nahden mountain as a ballistic missile storage center.
Iran is violating a UN resolution banning the supply of arms to Yemen, and the Iranian regime is deliberately undermining regional security, Al-Maliki said.