Belgian bus driver stabbed 10 times, continues route

From the terminus, he then returned without passengers to his depot in Willebroek and only then, around an hour after the alleged attack, realized that he had been wounded. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 January 2020

Belgian bus driver stabbed 10 times, continues route

  • A suspect attacked a 58-year-old bus driver — “apparently with a knife” — stabbing him repeatedly before fleeing the scene on foot
  • The driver, working for public bus company De Lijn, boarded his bus and — “probably in a state of shock” — followed his route for another 15 kilometers (eight miles) to Lierre

BRUSSELS: A Belgian bus driver was stabbed 10 times, receiving wounds to the neck and stomach, but continued to follow his route for another hour, officials said Friday.
According to the prosecutor’s office in Antwerp, on Thursday the driver found himself a few minutes early in the town of Kontich and disembarked to have a smoke.
At this point a suspect appeared out of nowhere and attacked the 58-year-old — “apparently with a knife” — stabbing him repeatedly before fleeing the scene on foot.
The driver, working for public bus company De Lijn, boarded his bus and — “probably in a state of shock” — followed his route for another 15 kilometers (eight miles) to Lierre.
From the terminus, he then returned without passengers to his depot in Willebroek and only then, around an hour after the alleged attack, realized that he had been wounded.
His colleagues called emergency services.
According to the prosecutor, he had received potentially fatal wounds to the lower torso, to the neck, to his arms and upper right leg. An investigation has been launched.


‘Mission: Impossible VII’ halts Italy filming over coronavirus

Updated 25 February 2020

‘Mission: Impossible VII’ halts Italy filming over coronavirus

  • Seventh installment of ‘Mission: Impossible’ franchise was scheduled to shoot in Venice for three weeks
  • taly reported its seventh death from the new coronavirus on Monday

WASHINGTON: Production on the latest film in the “Mission: Impossible” series starring Tom Cruise has been stopped in Italy following the outbreak of coronavirus cases, US media reported Monday.
According to entertainment specialist The Wrap, the seventh installment of the Paramount Pictures franchise was scheduled to shoot in Venice for three weeks.
“Out of an abundance of caution for the safety and well-being of our cast and crew, and efforts of the local Venetian government to halt public gatherings in response to the threat of coronavirus, we are altering the production plan for our three-week shoot in Venice,” a Paramount spokesperson said in a statement to The Wrap.
The spokesperson added that Cruise had not traveled to Italy, and that crew members were allowed to return home until production started.
Italy reported its seventh death from the new coronavirus Monday, but officials called for calm and reported a lower rise in the number of infections after a spike over the weekend.
The number of cases now stood at 229, the head of Italy’s civil protection department Angelo Borelli said at a press conference on Monday evening, the highest number in Europe.
In addition to “MI7,” the spread of the virus has disrupted high-profile events including Milan Fashion Week and the Venice Carnival. On Monday evening, sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora announced that six Serie A football matches would be played behind closed doors.
“Mission: Impossible VII” is due in theaters on July 23, 2021.