Residents of China’s coronavirus-hit Wuhan call for support

Some residents said they were on the “verge of tears” as they read news of the lockdown. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 26 January 2020

Residents of China’s coronavirus-hit Wuhan call for support

  • The number of confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the new SARS-like virus is over 570
  • Some called on the government to provide more resources to Wuhan, saying there were not enough masks to buy and that food prices were rising

BEIJING: Wuhan residents called for help and shared worries of food shortages, with some on the “verge of tears,” after the virus-hit central Chinese city was put on effective lockdown on Thursday.
Planes and trains out of Wuhan — the outbreak epicenter of the SARS-like virus — were canceled, with public transport also suspended as authorities told residents not to leave in a bid to control the spread of the virus.
The search term “Wuhan is sealed off” had been read at least 510 million times on China’s Twitter-like Weibo platform by Thursday morning with some 214,000 discussion posts.
Some residents said they were on the “verge of tears” as they read news of the lockdown, adding that their families’ lives were “threatened constantly and the target of online abuse.”
“We consciously avoid going out, disinfect diligently and wear masks,” wrote one user in a social media post.
“But there is a lack of food and disinfectants, and we need more resources. We hope everyone can understand that we are feeling as though it is the end of the world.
“We really need everyone’s help.”
Some called on the government to provide more resources to Wuhan, saying there were not enough masks to buy and that food prices were rising.
One user said: “Could the government help to resolve the issue of resources? Can we control food prices?“
The number of confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the new SARS-like virus is over 570, according to China’s National Health Commission, with most in Wuhan.
One video being shared on social media showed a bride in a nearby city wearing a surgical mask, and saying that all the guests who had visited Wuhan for work had been seated at the same table.
Lunar New Year celebrations begin Friday, and it is a popular time for weddings in China.
Another social media user, whose location was tagged as Wuhan, said she is skipping a reunion dinner this year and apologized to her family online.
Video clips of reporters from local news outlets, who were shown wearing masks on camera, made the rounds online as well.
Many Internet users from outside the city expressed sadness and concern for residents, urging them to stay safe.
Others expressed anger at the authorities, questioning why the city was not sealed off sooner.
Some blamed people in Wuhan for eating wild animals.
It is believed that animals are the primary source of the outbreak, and a now-closed seafood market in Wuhan where they were illegally sold is believed to be the source of the outbreak.
One user asked: “Do people enjoy eating wild animals that much? Hasn’t the lesson from SARS been enough?“


Malaysia’s king rejects PM Muhyiddin’s request for emergency rule

Updated 25 October 2020

Malaysia’s king rejects PM Muhyiddin’s request for emergency rule

  • Critics say Muhyiddin Yassin’s request for emergency rule is an attempt by the premier to stay in power amid a leadership challenge

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s King Al-Sultan Abdullah rejected on Sunday a proposal by Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin for him to declare a state of emergency in response to the coronavirus crisis, saying that he did not see the need.
Critics say Muhyiddin’s request for emergency rule, which would include suspending parliament, is an attempt by the premier to stay in power amid a leadership challenge.
Malaysia is seeing a resurgence in virus infections and on Saturday reported its biggest daily jump in cases with 1,228 new cases.
The palace said Muhyiddin made the request for emergency rule to deal with the coronavirus pandemic, but that the government has been handling the crisis well.
“Al-Sultan Abdullah is of the opinion that there is no need at the moment for His Majesty to declare an emergency in the country or in any part of the country of Malaysia,” the palace said in a statement.
“His Majesty is confident in the ability of the government under the leadership of the Prime Minister to continue to implement policies and enforcement efforts to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
The king’s decision came after a meeting with other senior royals in the country.
The constitution gives the king the right to decide if an emergency should be declared, based on threats to security, economy or public order.
Muhyiddin has been in a precarious position since he took office in March with a two-seat majority. Uncertainties deepened after opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim said last month he had the parliamentary majority to form a new government.