Federer sets up Djokovic showdown

Switzerland's Roger Federer reacts during his quarterfinal against Tennys Sandgren of the US at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 29 January 2020

Federer sets up Djokovic showdown

  • Federer, 38, now goes into an unmissable semifinal with Djokovic

MELBOURNE: Swiss great Roger Federer said “I believe in miracles” after he saved seven match points in a five-set nail-biter against 100th-ranked Tennys Sandgren to go into an Australian Open semifinal with Novak Djokovic on Tuesday.

The six-time champion, struggling physically, saved three match points at 4-5 in the fourth set and four more in the tie breaker to scrape through 6-3, 2-6, 2-6, 7-6 (10/8), 6-3.

Federer, 38, now goes into an unmissable semifinal with Djokovic, who blunted Milos Raonic’s razor serve to win 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (7/1) and move two wins from an eighth Melbourne title.

Djokovic, despite trouble with his contact lenses, ended Raonic’s run of 63 straight games in the tournament without a break of serve and moves smoothly into the semis for the loss of just one set so far.

He paid tribute to the great escape by Federer, ahead of a semifinal that reprises his epic win over the Swiss in last year’s Wimbledon decider.

“What he did today was really amazing, to come back and save seven match points at his age,” Djokovic said.

“He’s still playing such a great tennis and proving that he deserves to be up there. He’s a great fighter. Obviously I have lots of respect for him.” Federer’s match was incident-packed and he received a rare warning for an audible obscenity before going off-court for treatment on a groin injury.

Still hampered by the injury, he somehow forced a fifth set and began to regain control against the big-serving American.

“I believe in miracles,” Federer said, revealing that he thought his groin strain had ended his chances. “There could be rain, there could be all kinds of stuff.

“(I thought) just let him finish me off in style, and he didn’t do that. I’m incredibly lucky tonight, today — I don’t even know what time it is.”

Sandgren, achingly close to becoming the lowest-ranked player to beat Federer at the Australian Open, can count himself unlucky especially after a ball girl accidentally collided with him during the pivotal tie-breaker, which he lost.

Federer has made heavy weather of reaching his 46th Major semifinal. He was two points from defeat by John Millman in a fifth-set tie-breaker in round three, and dropped a set against 67th-ranked Marton Fucsovics in round four.

In the women’s draw Australia’s world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty dismissed two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in impressive style to reach the semis for the first time.

The unflappable Barty beat the Czech 7-6 (8/6), 6-2 and will be favorite in her semifinal against America’s Sofia Kenin — sending hopes soaring of a first home winner in 42 years.


UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

Updated 28 February 2020

UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

  • The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off
  • Riders, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups

ABU DHABI: Sports officials in the Emirates have canceled the final two stages of UAE Tour cycling event after two Italian competitors had coronavirus diagnosed. 

The Abu Dhabi Sports Council announced the cancelation late Thursday.

The council also said the decision had been made to ensure the safety of all the cyclists and teams, which it described as a priority.

The Health Ministry said that all participants, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups. 

 

 

It also said all precautionary measures related to quarantine were taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off on Thursday evening with riders, staff and members of the media not allowed to leave pending their check-ups.

Italian media reported on Twitter the arrival of medical units at the team hotel.

Multiple Tour de France winner Chris Froome tweeted his disappointment at the news, but wished all those affected a "speedy recovery."

 

 

The new coronavirus COVID-19 has infected more than 80,000 people worldwide - including dozens in the Middle East - and killed more than 2,800, mostly in China.