Cyprus motorist jailed for driving with his legs

Cyprus law states that drivers must have both hands on the wheel. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 February 2020

Cyprus motorist jailed for driving with his legs

  • Cypriot driver admitted to posting the video on social media and to driving without insurance
  • Cyprus law states that drivers must have both hands on the wheel

NICOSIA: A Cypriot driver who posted a video steering a truck with his legs on a motorway was jailed for 40 days Thursday after pleading guilty to dangerous driving, the Cyprus News Agency said.
The 43-year-old Cypriot had also admitted to posting the video on social media and to driving without insurance.
Late last year, a three-and-a-half minute viral video showed the driver with both feet in long black socks on the steering wheel, navigating with his calves on the slow lane of a two-lane motorway with apparent ease.
The judge at the Larnaca district court ruled that the man had committed a reckless act that had endangered lives and should serve a prison sentence, the CNA reported.
He was also stripped of his license for nine months.
In handing down the sentence, the court took into account that the offender has a sick father in his care and two young children.
Police had issued a stiff warning to drivers following the stunt.
“Driving is not a game or a joke. We all have a responsibility to be careful whilst behind the wheel and show respect not only for our own lives but those of others,” they said.
Cyprus law states that drivers must have both hands on the wheel.


‘Mission: Impossible VII’ halts Italy filming over coronavirus

Updated 25 February 2020

‘Mission: Impossible VII’ halts Italy filming over coronavirus

  • Seventh installment of ‘Mission: Impossible’ franchise was scheduled to shoot in Venice for three weeks
  • taly reported its seventh death from the new coronavirus on Monday

WASHINGTON: Production on the latest film in the “Mission: Impossible” series starring Tom Cruise has been stopped in Italy following the outbreak of coronavirus cases, US media reported Monday.
According to entertainment specialist The Wrap, the seventh installment of the Paramount Pictures franchise was scheduled to shoot in Venice for three weeks.
“Out of an abundance of caution for the safety and well-being of our cast and crew, and efforts of the local Venetian government to halt public gatherings in response to the threat of coronavirus, we are altering the production plan for our three-week shoot in Venice,” a Paramount spokesperson said in a statement to The Wrap.
The spokesperson added that Cruise had not traveled to Italy, and that crew members were allowed to return home until production started.
Italy reported its seventh death from the new coronavirus Monday, but officials called for calm and reported a lower rise in the number of infections after a spike over the weekend.
The number of cases now stood at 229, the head of Italy’s civil protection department Angelo Borelli said at a press conference on Monday evening, the highest number in Europe.
In addition to “MI7,” the spread of the virus has disrupted high-profile events including Milan Fashion Week and the Venice Carnival. On Monday evening, sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora announced that six Serie A football matches would be played behind closed doors.
“Mission: Impossible VII” is due in theaters on July 23, 2021.