Saudi foreign minister: Iran must change behavior for discussions to take place

Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al-Saud attends a panel discussion during the 56th Munich Security Conference (MSC) in Munich, southern Germany, on Feb. 15, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 February 2020

Saudi foreign minister: Iran must change behavior for discussions to take place

  • Saudi FM: Iran’s behavior is reckless and threatens the global economy
  • He added that the Kingdom has ambitious plans for hosting the G20 summit which will be held in Riyadh in November 2020 

MUNICH: Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan told the 56th Munich Security Conference on Saturday that Iran must change its behavior before any discussions between Tehran and other countries can take place.

He added that the Kingdom is also seeking de-escalation but Iran continually engages in “reckless behavior” that causes instability in the Middle East and “threatens the global economy.”

Prince Faisal added that no private messages or direct contact had taken place to ease tensions with Iran.

“Until we can talk about the real sources of that instability, talk is going to be unproductive,” the foreign minister said. 

Speaking about Yemen, Prince Faisal said that the Kingdom has always supported a political solution in the country and hopes the Houthis will put the interests of Yemen, not Iran, first.

On Saudi Arabia’s relationship with the US, the foreign minister said the two states have common interests and share a historic relationship. He added that the Kingdom has good channels for dialogue with the US Congress.

He added that the Kingdom has ambitious plans for hosting the G20 summit which will be held in Riyadh in November this year.


Coalition destroy Houthi drone targeting Saudi Arabia

Updated 19 min 14 sec ago

Coalition destroy Houthi drone targeting Saudi Arabia

  • The drone was targeting civilian areas in the south of the Kingdom
  • Saudi Arabia last week denounced the Houthi militia’s continued launch of drones targeting civilians in the Kingdom

DUBAI: Saudi-led Arab coalition intercepted a Houthi drone targeting civilian areas in the Kingdom on Friday, state news agency SPA reported.
“Forces of the Arab coalition have destroyed a drone launched by terrorist Houthi militants on civilian areas in the south,” Spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki said.
Saudi Arabia last week denounced the Houthi militia’s continued launch of drones targeting civilians in the Kingdom.
The attacks are carried out in “a systematic and deliberate manner, which is a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and its customary rules,” the Saudi council of ministers said in a weekly meeting.
The cabinet said the Kingdom wanted to “promote the values of pluralism and international cooperation stipulated in the United Nations Charter, in order to achieve sustainable development plans and goals and overcome challenges to reach a more inclusive and just world.”
The council reviewed a number of other issues and regional and international developments.
The ministers also said recent positive estimates of credit rating agencies on the Kingdom’s economy reflected its ability to face global economic challenges.