Saudi coronavirus virus victim ‘in stable condition’

Ministry of Health spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly gives a press conference at the Saudi Food and Drug Authority headquarters in Riyadh. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 04 March 2020

Saudi coronavirus virus victim ‘in stable condition’

  • The man’s family and all those who had been in direct contact with him are also being monitored

RIYADH: A Saudi man infected with coronavirus is in a stable condition and is receiving treatment, the Kingdom’s Ministry of Health said.

The man, who lives in the eastern Qatif region, has been isolated while he receives health care, ministry spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly said.

He said that the man’s family and all those who had been in direct contact with him are also being monitored.

According to the health spokesman, the Saudi man traveled from Iran, and entered the Kingdom via Bahrain and the King Fahd causeway that connects both countries.

“He did not mention his previous trips, including Iran, at the border” Al-Abd Al-Aly said.

“The man has been isolated immediately. The necessary samples were taken, and laboratory tests at the National Center for Disease Prevention and Control proved that his case is confirmed. We continue to provide services and health care for him,” he said.

Al-Abd Al-Aly said a team of specialists had seen more than 70 people who had been in contact with the man.

“We have monitored his movements, whether passing through a private health facility to receive health care or his visits to community sites,” the spokesman said.

Al-Abd Al-Aly said that investigations into suspected cases will continue and any confirmed coronavirus cases will be announced.

He denied rumors that the infected man works as a teacher and warned against unnecessary alarm over the virus.

“There is no need to worry. People must take care of their personal hygiene and avoid contacting infected people. They can communicate with trusted entities — the 937 call service is available for everyone” he said.

“We urge those who have been in areas or countries where the virus is highly spread, and failed to report their previous visits, to contact 937, so we can help protect them, their families and the community,” he added.
 


Notice setting date for Saudi international flights ‘is bogus’

Updated 12 August 2020

Notice setting date for Saudi international flights ‘is bogus’

  • Aviation chiefs issue official denial after fake circular says passengers can fly to and from Kingdom from October

RIYADH: A fake circular suggesting Saudi Arabia will resume international flights in October has been condemned as “completely baseless and fabricated” by the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA).
Rumors that international flights will shortly return have been circulating on social media in recent weeks without any official statement from GACA.
On Tuesday, the authority denied announcing the resumption of international flights and said information being circulated was fabricated.
Saudi Arabia suspended international flights from March 15 in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Since domestic flights restarted on May 31, rumors have been circulating regarding the return of international flights. On Monday, the bogus GACA circular was shared on various social media platforms suggesting flights into and out of Saudi Arabia would resume in October. It sparked a flurry of speculation.
The circular, titled “No flights till October 2020,” said: “An employee of the GACA has stated in a recent interview that all international flights to and from the Kingdom are to remain suspended till the month of October.” Quoting a GACA official, the circular said that the decision was subject to the number of coronavirus cases, which must “come down to three digits.”
GACA official spokesman Ibrahim bin Abdullah Alrwosa told Arab News the circular “is completely baseless and fabricated.”
He shared a tweet from the authority’s public relations department describing the circular as incorrect.
The civil aviation authority has previously said there is no specific date for the resumption of international flights, he added.
All international flights remain suspended until further notice.
However, exceptions have been made for humanitarian assistance and emergency cases, medical evacuation flights and repatriation of stranded citizens and expatriates wanting to return home.