OPEC slashes oil demand forecast, cuts to restore balance

Oil has recovered to $30 a barrel from the low last month and held onto an earlier gain after the report’s release. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 14 May 2020

OPEC slashes oil demand forecast, cuts to restore balance

  • OPEC now expects global demand to contract by 9.07 million barrels per day (bpd), or 9.1 percent, in 2020

LONDON: OPEC on Wednesday again slashed its forecast for global oil demand this year as the coronavirus outbreak causes a global recession, although it said record supply cuts by the group and other producers were already helping to rebalance the market.

OPEC now expects global demand to contract by 9.07 million barrels per day (bpd), or 9.1 percent, in 2020, it said in a monthly report. Last month, OPEC expected a contraction of 6.85 million bpd.

Oil prices have collapsed in 2020 with benchmark Brent hitting a 21-year low of $15.98 a barrel on April 22. To tackle the drop, OPEC and its allies agreed to a record supply cut, while the US and other nations said they would pump less. OPEC said these measures were already helping.

“The speedy supply adjustments in addressing the current acute imbalance in the global oil market have already started showing positive response, with rebalancing expected to pick up faster in the coming quarters,” OPEC said in the report.

Oil has recovered to $30 a barrel from the low last month and held onto an earlier gain after the report’s release.

OPEC expects this quarter to see the biggest drop in demand and lowered its demand forecast for the second quarter by 5.4 million bpd. Downside risks remain for consumption in the US, Europe and South Korea, OPEC said.

OPEC lowered its estimate of global economic growth in 2020, forecasting a contraction of 3.4 percent and saying the coronavirus crisis “has caused a recession in the global economy as well as an unprecedented oil demand shock.”


Qatar’s top bank Q2 profit slides over virus

Updated 12 July 2020

Qatar’s top bank Q2 profit slides over virus

  • QNB net profit in the 2nd quarter plunged 25.8%

DOHA: Qatar National Bank, the largest lender in the Middle East, said Sunday its net profits for the second quarter sank over the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
QNB net profit in the second quarter plunged 25.8 percent to 2.84 billion riyals ($780 million) compared to $1.05 billion in the same period a year ago, the bank said in a statement.
The first quarter net profit of QNB, which has operations in 31 countries including Turkey, Indonesia and India, dropped only slightly.
Its net income in the first six months of the year also dipped 13.6 percent to $1.76 billion from $2.04 billion a year ago, it said.
The bank said it increased the loan loss provisions by $320 million in the first half to safeguard itself from any adverse shocks from the pandemic, thus affecting its profitability.
Total assets rose 10 percent to $267 billion on June 30, making it the largest lender in the Middle East and North Africa in terms of assets.