Saudi Arabia backs UAE bid for non-permanent UN Security Council seat

The UAE earlier proposed the allocation of a permanent seat for Arabs in the UN Security Council. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 02 July 2020

Saudi Arabia backs UAE bid for non-permanent UN Security Council seat

  • The UAE earlier proposed the allocation of a permanent seat for Arabs in the UN Security Council

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia is backing its Gulf neighbor, the UAE’s bid for a non-permanent membership of the UN Security Council for 2022-23.

Khalid bin Muhammad Manzalawi, Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations, called on other countries to support the UAE candidacy during a virtual meeting of the Asia-Pacific Group of the world body.

Manzalawi said the ‘UAE has succeeded in addressing major issues closely related to international cooperation, peace, security, and sustainable development’ and ‘it has a leading humanitarian action, represented through its close cooperation with the United Nations and international partners to reach the common goal of achieving lasting peace in the Middle East and around the entire world.’

The Saudi envoy praised the UAE’s efforts ‘to promote the message of peace, spread a culture of tolerance, in addition to its work in supporting diplomatic efforts aimed at settling disputes by peaceful means through dialogue and confidence-building.’

The UAE earlier repeated its call for the allocation of a permanent seat for Arabs in the UN Security Council, which could be filled by rotation as is done by the League of Arab States.

The enlargement of permanent and non-permanent membership of the Security Council should be consistent and approved by at least two thirds of the members of the General Assembly, Abdul Aziz Nasser Al-Shamsi, the UAE's permanent representative to the UN, has proposed.


Trump wrote to Assad about journalist missing in Syria, says Pompeo

In this file photo taken on December 04, 2018, Marc and Debra Tice, the parents of US journalist Austin Tice (portrait L), who was abducted in Syria more than six years ago, speak at a press conference in Beirut. (AFP)
Updated 15 August 2020

Trump wrote to Assad about journalist missing in Syria, says Pompeo

  • In 2018, US authorities announced a $1 million reward for information that would lead to his recovery

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump personally wrote to his Syrian counterpart Bashar Assad about the case of journalist Austin Tice, who has been missing since 2012, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday.
“The US government has repeatedly attempted to engage Syrian officials to seek Austin’s release,” Pompeo said in a statement on the eighth anniversary of Tice’s disappearance.
“President Trump wrote to Bashar Assad in March to propose direct dialogue.”
Tice was a freelance photojournalist working for Agence France-Presse, McClatchy News, The Washington Post, CBS and other news organizations when he disappeared after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus on Aug. 14, 2012.
Thirty-one years old at the time he was captured, Tice appeared blindfolded in the custody of an unidentified group of armed men in a video a month later.
Since then, there has been no official information on whether he is alive or dead.
In March, Trump said the United States had written a letter to authorities in Damascus, without specifying that he himself had written personally to Assad, who Washington wants out of power. At that time, Trump said he did not know if Tice was still alive.

HIGHLIGHT

Tice was a freelance photojournalist working for Agence France-Presse, McClatchy News, The Washington Post, CBS and other news organizations when he disappeared after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus on Aug. 14, 2012.

“No one should doubt the president’s commitment to bringing home all US citizens held hostage or wrongfully detained overseas,” Pompeo said Friday.
“Nowhere is that determination stronger than in Austin Tice’s case.”
Pompeo said he and Trump hoped there would be “no need for another statement like this a year from now.”
“Austin Tice’s release and return home are long, long overdue. We will do our utmost to achieve that goal,” he added.
A year ago, the US government said it believed Tice was still alive.
His mother Debra Tice said in January that she had “credible information” to that effect, without elaborating.
In 2018, US authorities announced a $1 million reward for information that would lead to his recovery.