Saudi Arabia and UN's fight against terrorism lauded at launch of 'virtual expo'

Abdallah Al-Mouallim is chairman of the advisory board to the UNCCT. (UN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 08 July 2020

Saudi Arabia and UN's fight against terrorism lauded at launch of 'virtual expo'

  • The UNCCT was set up in 2011 to promote international counter-terrorism cooperation

LONDON: Saudi Arabia has been a crucial partner alongside the United Nations in countering terrorism, the Kingdom’s UN ambassador said.

Abdallah Al-Mouallimi made the comments as the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) launched on Tuesday a “virtual expo” into its work.

“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has been a crucial partner alongside the United Nations in countering terrorism and extremism,” Al-Mouallimi, who is chairman of the center’s advisory board, said.

“It is my intention to underscore the continued Saudi support for the UNCCT as the Centre of Excellence in countering terrorism,” he added.

The UNCCT was set up in 2011 to promote international counter-terrorism cooperation and support member states implement the global counter-terrorism strategy. Saudi Arabia funded the project with $110 million.

Al-Mouallimi hosted the launch of the virtual expo on Tuesday. 

The expo “showcases the Centre as a global leader in preventing and countering terrorism and violent extremism through capacity‑building efforts around the world,” the UNCCT said.

The virtual expo will run for four weeks online.


Saudi Arabia announces 34 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 58 min 11 sec ago

Saudi Arabia announces 34 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 260,393
  • A total of 3,303 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 34 more deaths from COVID-19 and 1,482 new cases of the disease on Thursday.
Of the new cases, 86 were recorded in the capital Riyadh, 77 in Jeddah, 63 in Hail and 60 in Hufof.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 260,393 after 3,124 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 3,303 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.