Zamalek residents evacuate iconic building near Cairo metro work

1 / 3
The building is located near ongoing excavation work to extend Cairo's underground metro. (Egyptian media)
2 / 3
The building is located near ongoing excavation work to extend Cairo's underground metro. (Egyptian media)
3 / 3
The building is located near ongoing excavation work to extend Cairo's underground metro. (Egyptian media)
Short Url
Updated 27 July 2020

Zamalek residents evacuate iconic building near Cairo metro work

  • Photos and videos shared online showed deep cracks in the building's walls and slight subsidence outside the building

CAIRO: Residents of a landmark building in Egypt’s upscale Zamalek district were forced to evacuate their homes on Sunday after a land subsidence.

The building is located near ongoing excavation work to extend Cairo's underground metro, Ahram Online reported, with people blaming ongoing construction work in the area for the incident.

Photos and videos shared online showed deep cracks in the building's walls and slight subsidence outside the building.

The Egyptian National Authority for Tunnels confirmed that a land subsidence has occurred but denied it was a result of the metro extension in the district. 

“Slight ground subsidence occurred at one of the corners of building number 17 in Brazil Street in Zamalek as well as at the front yard and fence of the (adjacent) Bahraini embassy," read the statement quoted by Ahram.

Residents of the area had been complaining for long about the impact of the construction on Zamalek’s older buildings. It is reported that several Egyptian starts from the golden age had once lived in the 12-storey building. 

On Sunday, the current residents were evacuated as they feared it might collapse, the report said. 

Engineering teams were dispatched to the location evaluate the situation and study the safety of the building.

Transport Minister Kamel El-Wazir said in televised comments late on Sunday that residents were given 30,000 Egyptian pounds ($1,877) each in order to find a temporary residence until they are able to return to their apartments, the report quoted him as saying.


France calls on Lebanon to form government ‘without delay’

Updated 23 September 2020

France calls on Lebanon to form government ‘without delay’

  • France is pressing Lebanese politicians to form a new government
  • Political class blamed for massive explosion that devastated Beirut last month

PARIS: France's foreign ministry on Tuesday warned Lebanon's political forces that the country risked collapse if they did not form a government without delay.
"At this decisive moment in Lebanese history, Lebanese political forces are faced with a choice between recovery and collapse of the country. It is a heavy responsibility towards the Lebanese," foreign ministry spokeswoman Agnes von der Mühll told reporters in a daily briefing.
France is pressing Lebanese politicians to form a new government in a "reasonable timeframe" to lift the nation out of a deep crisis but has not fixed a new deadline after the last one in mid-September was missed, two French diplomatic sources said.
Lebanon's Christian president, Michel Aoun, told fractious political leaders on Monday the country was heading "to hell" if a new cabinet was not formed swiftly to dig the nation out of its worst crisis since the 1975-1990 civil war.
"France regrets that Lebanese officials have not yet managed to keep the commitments made on Sept. 1," Von der Mühll said. "We call on them to reach an agreement without delay on the formation by (Prime Minister) Moustapha Adib of a government of mission, which will then have to implement the necessary reforms."